1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'New York Times' Bans the Word 'Tweet'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But it appears that part of the problem is that the Times audience doesn't know what a tweet is. So will they know what a Twitter post is?

They'll probably have to say something like, "in a message sent out on the social networking site Twitter..."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was defending the use of FCS from the old man's attack and was not dealing with the tweet issue.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Actually, the title of this thread is wrong. The Times did not ban the word.

An editor at the Times made a good suggestion, which is that journalists use words that the readers will understand. As the Times standards editor said, there are times, in context, when the word is the right one, but without the context many readers will not know what's meant. In other words, write clearly.

As he himself says, his pay grade isn't high enough to start banning words.

http://is.gd/cKxsg

and

http://www.slate.com/id/2256665/

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

What pisses me off is they'll ban the word "tweet" but assume everybody knows the meaning of those $3 words they use, just to prove to everybody else they know what they mean.

Does that make sense?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

W.H.O. C.A.R.E.S.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It depends what you mean by a $3 word? A word with more than two syllables?

8. dooley_womack1

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

10. dooley_womack1

Worst. Haiku. Ever.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If the NYT sends me to the dictionary on occasion to look up a word I didn't know, at least I got a little smarter.

Reading "So we're chillin' at C-Webb's crib in D-town . . . " in ESPN Magazine makes me feel about 20 IQ points dumber.

Draft saved Draft deleted