1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York State: Consensus Reached on Religious Exemptions in Gay Marriage Bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

but yet, not by the will of the people, who will hopefully vote out people who didn't represent THEM in a REPRESENTATIVE government.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

But just wait. The militants' ramrodding is coming their way, the will of the people be damned.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Freudian slip?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You realize that's the exact same argument those opposing civil rights advances pushed. First of all, I think you're making a big assumption that denying gays rights is the will of the people. Second of all, even if it is, so what? We vote for representatives not to rubber-stamp our base passions, but to do what is best after looking at all sides. We were never intended to be governed by a voice vote from a vast meeting in a field. And we have stuff like courts as part of the process to protect minorities, not just as a group of people who make you stamp your feets.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have a couple of assumptions, but we all know what they say about them.

As for the first point, if less than 1 percent of homosexuals participate in gay pride marches and only a percentage of that acting like those I depicted, why do they get so much publicity in the public compared to their numbers?

I don't like it when scantily clad women are out in public acting like idiots, either.

No need for personal attacks, either.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is one person and even in her case, you really don't know if that was why she became a lesbian. Maybe she always was one. You really don't know.

Nevermind. Obviously, this discussion won't go well.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I grew up with an alcoholic father who was never around and spent all our money on booze and gambling. Clearly, this environment led to my heterosexuality.

I never had a chance.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Since you're celibate, wouldn't you have lived an asexual life for decades?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.