1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, last week I start thread asking advice on when and where to stop during a West Coastal trip from Vancouver, BC or Seattle to LA. And the help was great and appreciated.

But now the Little Mrs. SoSueMe is leaning toward a 10-day trip to New York in mid-June (She's driving me nuts, by the way).

Anyway, you can guess by now where this thread is going.

Aside from Yankee Stadium, the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and Regis and Kelly (that's for the better half!), where should we go? What can't we miss? Where must we eat? What must we see, etc. etc?

Money isn't much of an issue because this is serving as a honeymoon of sorts.

Have it folks! I'm listening (again)!

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The New York Mets.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If money is no object, I can give you lots of food recommendations... But I was thinking if it is a second honeymoon thing and you want to go romantic beyond even the craziest of romantic places, you might do One If By Land, Two If By Sea on Barrow Street... Candlelight dinner, very attentive staff, piano music, excellent food. It's not cheap, but there isn't a woman alive who can survive this place without forgetting what a dork the man she's with is...

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Thing is, neither of us are overly romantic, which is why we decided to forget the whole "true honeymoon" thing (i.e. no Mexico, no Haiwaii (sp?), no resorts where you do nothing but get catered to).

We're more of "let's do something cool" type of people.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well Regis and Kelly sure doesn't give us that impression about you guys.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx for good Italian food.

Walk down Fifth Avenue at lunch time and be amazed at all the model-hot women walking around.

Staten Island Ferry is free and gives you a decent look of the city.

Eat at least three really good expensive dinners. Great, great places to eat in this town.

Try to walk around and see if any movies or tv shows are being filmed. Always cool to walk up on Tom Hanks.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hoboken...Go to Hoboken... see the pen-goo-in...they's practically chickens

[​IMG]

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, it worked for me.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yeah, it's her one flaw. And if she'll sit through a two-hour Yankees game, I supposed I can sit through those two idiots for an hour.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

For my one trip to New York I stayed in Hoboken. I was more than a little frightened walking to our hotel at night after riding the subway back from the city. Our hotel had a barbwire covered fence surrounding it and bars on all the windows and two deadbolts on each door.
    Long story short: My parents didn't have a tremendous amount of money to pony up for a better hotel.

Though when we went to church in Hoboken that Sunday, the choir was putting on a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar and the pastor even participated, though he appeared to be drunk the entire time.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Why would you go to New York when you could go to Cleveland?

Spnited could be your tour guide.

"On your left, here's a bunch of nothing."
    "On your right, here's a bunch of nothing."
    "Somewhere around here, there's a museum with guitars or something."

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Fifth Avenue...

Draft saved Draft deleted