1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York, New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This was touched on during another discussion and I don't want to dredge that one up.

What I'm looking for is simple: Some New York highlights beyond the already known famous spots.

Assuming her health allows, Mrs. Moddy and I will go our annual summer trip to NY to see as many shows as we can squeeze in. We like to fill the rest of the time checking out the town. We'll take a subway to a stop we've never visited and just walk.

This year, I need some specific ideas. If she's able to go, she won't be able to do much walking. So it's basically places we can get to in a cab.

So, what do tourists miss in NY that they ought to see?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Moddy -- the Cloisters is a hidden gem which most people miss. You can catch a cab there, but there might be some walking involved.

Also, the "Slavery in New York" pemanent exhibit at the New York Historical Society is amazing.

The Staten Island Ferry is always great to take for a nice view of downtown.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Head for the new Hotel Gansevoort in the meatpacking district. It's got a swell rooftop bar with sublime views, and most days you can smell all the way to New Jersey.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If you like chocolate or candy, Dylan's Candy Bar at 3rd and 60th might be the happiest place in the world.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I like chocolate AND candy, and my size indicates I've had too much of each. A little more won't hurt.

Keep 'em coming, we thank you in advance.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Just find a spot in Central Park and people watch for a few hours. No museum can top that.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Great call on the Cloisters and the Ferry, Webster, althought the Cloisters will require a lot of walking. Dylan's Candy Bar is fun, but if you want REALLY GOOD chocolate, and are inclined to get to Brooklyn, head just over the bridge, in Dumbo on Water Street (which is cool because there is a park between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges with sweeping views of lower Manhattan and it has a boardwalk and even a little beach that sits right on the river). On Water Street which is across from that park, you get a funky feel for an old neighborhood that has gone from abandoned to thriving. It still has original cobblestones from the 1800s. Some old pre civil war buildings and warehouses, some which have been taken over by art galleries, a theatre, etc. and lots of creative types of business--P. Diddy, etc. And halfway down the block is Jacque Torres, which is a world famous chocolatier. It's the best chocolate I have ever tasted. You can actually look through the window and see them in their pristine white outfits making the chocolate. I don't eat chocolate anymore, but when I did, this stuff was as sinful and good as it gets. Have a cup of their hot chocolate while you are there (if it is still warm, go for the frozen hot chocolate). It is amazing. From there, just walk south to Old Fulton and you can have lunch (even do this before Jacques Torres) at Grimaldi's, which is a landmark, sitdown pizza place that was a favorite of Sinatra's. If you walk a block north first, on the way over, you can even stop by Gleason's gym, which has a storied history and has been the grungy digs for many past boxing champions.

Grimaldis sits right in the shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's just a cool looking backdrop. It is also the only coal fired brick oven left that is allowed in NYC and it does something special to the pizza. They use only the freshest ingredients. It isn't typical looking or tasting pizza. Very thing crust, pools of the freshest mozzerella you have ever taste, instead of strings of it filling the whole slice, and whole basil leaves. It is sit down and you don't order by the slice. But it has a nice charm. Red checkered-clothed tables, Sinatra on the jukebox. Then about 200 yards ahead is the Fulton Ferry Landing where you get the most amazing view of Manhattan, again with the Bridge just off to your right and the Statue of Liberty to the left. There is an old lighthouse that has been converted into a large ice cream place there, and they make the ice cream on site. It is very creamy and rich. I'd recommending walking across the bridge if you wanted to do this little half day trip--it is a really cool walk--but it doesn't sound like Mrs. Moddy will be able to make it. If you do it by subway, it is the first subway stop out of Manhattan right off the A or the C trains. If you want to blow your wad on a nice dinner, right at the Fulton Ferry Landing is the River Cafe. It's one of the priciest restaurants in NY. The food is probably not quite worth what you blow to eat there, but you are paying for the ambience and the view--you see the skyline, the statue of liberty, etc.

If you are inclined to stay in Manhattan, and you like jazz, I'd recommend a trip to the Village Vanguard which is all the way down 7th Avenue in the village. Great history and still consistently gets the best players. But call ahead and make a reservation if you plan to go. I particularly know the Village well, because of where I've lived. If you want, PM me with any questions or for more suggestions, Moddy.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I used to live in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, so I'd recommend taking the F train to that neighborhood (and its neighbor, Cobble Hill). Great bagels, and some good restaurants beyond the mobbed-up joints that dominated when I lived there 10 years ago, now that the neighborhood has gone more chi-chi. (But, hey, those mobbed-up joints were great, too. You're not going to mess up the food with a gun at your head.)

If you want to hang out with total hipsters in Brooklyn, go to Williamsburg, the first L train stop in Brooklyn from Manhattan. Bedford Avenue is the big hipster strip. Or, to continue your tour of Brooklyn, head to Bay Ridge to see Brooklyn Chinatown, which is pretty good-sized itself.

If you're a Seinfeld or Suzanne Vega fan, head to Tom's Restaurant at 112th and Broadway. It provided the exterior "Restaurant" sign for Monk's, and the subject matter for "Tom's Diner." It's a pretty good diner, actually.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Short and sweet, Moddy, make sure you make a quick stop at the Stage Deli (59th St. in Manhattan?). It has sensational corned beef sandwiches, if you like, but the real treat for me (back before the diabetes days) was the cheese cake.

All the tourist spots already mentioned are fine but I figured you needed a place to eat, too,

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Carroll Gardens is a little of the beaten path, but what Damien says is dead-on true. Haven't headed down that way in a while, but you get some of the most authentic old-school Italian food you will find anywhere in that neighborhood. Can't remember specific names of restaurants down Court Street, but I dated someone who lived down that way and had some ridiculously good Italian meals there. They take care of you, will dote on Mrs. Moddy, and practically adopt you (although, it might be as a bag man).

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

...if you enjoy being treated like crap, or ignored on the whole by the people allegedly serving you.

(note: this did not stop me from eating there at least once a week for an entire summer)

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Cloisters is in every tour book, and I think it is part of the Metropolitan Museum so people are aware of it. I never knew anybody who actually went there until my friend did, and he thought it was great. I guess the thing is that you have so many museums in midtown Manhattan and on Museum Mile, you figure why go uptown?

Casty, I was always partial to the Second Avenue Deli, but I don't know if that is still around.

Draft saved Draft deleted