1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Jets fire Eric Mangini.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

News flash, Mangini wasn't the GM.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As per usual, Boots, er, Drip does not know what he is blabbering about.
    Mangini was canned because:
    • After beating Tennessee on November 13, the Jets were 8-3 and in first place in the AFC East. In the season's final five weeks, the Jets went 1-5.
    • Woody Johnson made $140 million worth of off-season improvements. Finishing a game over .500 was not enough success for his bucks.
    • The Jets were 16th in total offense in 2008.
    • The Jets were 16th in total defense in 2008.
    • Woody Johnson is trying to strong arm Jets fans into buying PSLs for the new Giants Stadium/Meadowlands. Tough to get fans to ante up for the right to buy seats if his organization was going to stand pat.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I probably would have made the move myself at that time. Favre is a riskier QB than Pennington, but even at age 39 his potential upside was higher. Given where the Jets were, it was a gamble they had to take.

What killed Mangini was both the way the team collapsed at the end of the year and the fans' emotional rage over Pennington coming back to knock them out. With a new stadium opening next year and outrageously priced PSLs to sell, ownership probably felt they couldn't bring Mangini back after the way this season ended without really pissing off their fan base and having a black cloud hovering over next season (even bigger than the one that currently exists).

It seems like the same motive the Red Sox had for canning Grady Little after his infamous fuck up with Pedro in the 2003 ALCS.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

As usual you have made an error on the threads. Are you attempting to out someone?
    Also, your facts were not the reason why he was fired. Go to the press conference.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

News flash, Mangini makes the calls on who is quarterbacking his team. He had a say on who was the QB.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who knew that the big winner in the Favre trade would be the Dolphins?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Listen, sunshine, I'm telling you why he was fired. Johnson wasn't going to bury a guy that he liked, but he was pissed after yesterday's loss and was not willing to give Mangini a vote of confidence.

What facts am I wrong about? Please, tell me.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well sunshine, you are wrong about trying to out me for starters. As far as everything else, go to the press conference. Unless you are front office personnel, and you aren't, you are speculating. That's cool, but you don't know WHY he was fired and neither do I. That's why I'll wait until the press conference for an official reason.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Out you?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because no pro sports front office official has ever lied during a PC about the official reason for canning somebody....

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Of course they lie. If hockeybeat was a front office person or covered the team or the NFL, I might be prone to believe him. I like what he's written but I'd just as soon wait on the presser where I can have a face to identify with. Nothing personal.

12. He is the great Cornholio.

[​IMG]

He needs TP for his bunghole

Draft saved Draft deleted