1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 20, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don’t know. I had never heard of a WARN notice until I saw the story the other day. I don't know the regulations NY State has surrounding it. I thought from reading it, but may be wrong, it's just something you have to file before you do the layoffs if you employ more than 100 people. I'd assume if they wanted to do more layoffs, they'd file with the state (assuming they still have more than 100 people total) and then do the layoffs. But I don't know for sure how it works.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Basically it gives employees designated for termination 90 days (I think) advance notice that their jobs will end on a specified date. Gives the designated employees time to get things in order and start making plans before the final hammer drops.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

WARN notices are routine in California, especially for teachers. Just about everybody gets one near the end of the school year. Then they evaluate the enrollment for next term and establish how many teachers they need at a given school. Most of them are retained and they kind of shuffle the others around according to need. But if some have to be laid off, the WARN notifications are already done.
    A few years ago, everybody was up in arms because all of these teachers were going to be laid off. Turned out, very few, if any, were laid off. It was just procedural.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Frederick, I think Gatehouse or DFM paper those managements have already reached the conclusion that there is no money to be made in digital only (and it is true damn few people have). When the cash flow goes negative they just plan to turn out the lights.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I do wonder at some point if some creditors take a look at how some of these bottom feeders do business by loading up on debt, then leaving the creditors in the lurch, if they just decide that they won't extend credit to these companies.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I got the President I wanted, and the first 18 months have been fabulous, including the double negatives.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You also have Jenn Sterger as your avatar, and neither Jenn nor Fucko would stop to piss on you if you were on fire.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, let's get off politics here please.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Again, NY Daily News and all. Take your Jenn/Cheeto argument to the politics board and have a nice Don't Do It Here Day.

Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't picked up the paper version of the News since this has gone down. Has anyone seen any huge differences right off the bat? I am guessing a lot of sports has to be wire stories. If that is the case, they have those two freebies every morning in NY that do that. Maybe the News still has a bit more substance than those, but is it already starting to look closer to one of those AM freebies than the tabloid it was even 2 weeks ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted