1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new york daily news: torre to be canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

As a Sox fan -- well more of a Yankee hater -- I would love this. Wonder how rest of the nation would react though.

It would trump Johnny Damon.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Casty, I'd be shocked if this story is veriifiable. Lou's not self-destructive enough to come to the Yanks as the guy who replaced a fired Joe Torre. How could he win?
    I would not be surprised, however, if someone in the all-for-one-and-one-for-all Yankee organization leaked this tale in the hope Joe would see it and get angry enough to quit on his own.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Good point, Michael, but I don't see Joe quitting without that $7M check in his pocket.

And to my pal Shockey, stick to firing Tom Coughlin, please. ;D

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

fwiw, i believe piniella and girardi are repped by the same agency...somehow that has to play a role in the chicago manager derby (perhaps less so if the torre-for-piniella story happens).

sorry to see Torre take the fall....a good man.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

All I hear is that Ed Henry & Company aren't Girardi fans, so that's why they're dragging their feet. Seems to be a Gammonsism, and I haven't heard it elsewhere.

Shockey, never thought of the A-Rod/Lou link. I can't see A-Rod, with plane ticket out of town in hand, being the driving decision behind a move, though.

And Cashman ain't quitting for the $ame rea$on$ Torre won't.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

laughing out loud, casty, my brother!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i love watching the carnage in the bronx year in and year out. it gives me something to care about now that the twins are gone.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

"Sources" say Torre "is expected" to be fired, "unless other team officials can talk The Boss out of it."

This is breaking a story? I think not. Essentially all the Daily News is saying is that Steinbrenner is pissed and Torre might get fired. Or he might not. I could have figured that out for myself. I'm with Casty -- give me some sort of corroboration here, otherwise this is just dressed-up speculation.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When will George learn, the highest payroll will, most of the time, NOT win you the title in your sport.

There is something to be said for good chemistry in the locker room or players with heart.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

ESPN last night was saying the Daily News reported this would happen. Looks to me more like the Daily News is suggesting it could happen.

Maybe someone used Madden to float a trial balloon, perhaps to see how Torre would react.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"My mother's cousin said she talked to George Steinbrenner's sister's cousin's aunt, and she said she heard the sister's cousin's aunt say he might fire somebody important if the Yankees lose three straight and his filet mignon is done medium-well instead of well-done."

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

he won't learn. ever. how much do you want to bet he goes out and signs even more high-priced veterans? you'd think that the evidence is right in front of him in cano and cabrera, who both came up through the farm system.

Draft saved Draft deleted