1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new york daily news: torre to be canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Someone dig up Martin.

2. Kurt Evans

Kurt Evans New Member

As a Cubs fan, I'm hoping this means Piniella won't be coming to Chicago. That man would suck the hope right out of my brain.

Actually, I think it would be kind of hilarious if the Red Sox canned Francona and hired Torre. That would be a kick in the nuts that Yankees fans would never forget.

I'd be all for Torre coming to Chicago, although Girardi tops my list at the moment. But I can't really see Joe in a Cubs uniform ... wait ... okay, thank you CentralIllinoisian. Looks good to me.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Can someone please link the story? I've read it on AP and ESPN, but I've been to the Daily News site twice and can't find it? It's not the gamer is it, because if so, the only paragraph is:

"Suddenly, the future of the Bombers is gloomy, and a virtual demolition of the franchise may not be far off. Torre's 11-year run as Yankee manager could end within days. Alex Rodriguez figures to be shopped on the trade market. An overhaul of the pitching staff is needed, and if the last few days are any indication, so is an infusion of energy."

Does that mean it is breaking news that the AP should credit? Because many papers have written similar things over the past few days.

Or, is this it, from Bill Madden: "Believe it. This time, faster than you can say "Goodbye, Joe. Welcome back, Lou," there will be. Steinbrenner doesn't want to hear about the pitching because in his mind he gave Joe Torre everything a manager could ask for, then had to watch as this modern-day "Murderer's Row" of superstar hitters visited Kenny Rogers' neighborhood Friday night and put on a performance as tepid as the real Mr. Rogers. They topped that by not even showing up yesterday as they skulked out of the playoffs.

Where is the story?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

1) steinbrenner isn't a raving lunatic anymore. those days are way past him. he's just happy to still be hangin' on.

2) piniella's an ideal replacement for torre. lou's popular with fans, who would embrace him. fans have tired of joe's laid-back, cool approach. lou would bring the fire critics argue the yanks have lacked. george, a football guy, will want to replace ice with fire.

3) lou and a-rod are tight. the yanks may feel lou is the guy who can straighten out the basket case. does anyone really think either the yanks or a-rod want to admit yet what a disaster this has been? i'm thinking torre goes, lou comes in, a-rod stays.

but what do i know? i'm just a football guy.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Actually, the story was broken by baseball columnist Bill Madden, who is supposedly closer to Steinbrenner and his camp than anyone else in the New York press.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

bill's tight with george and even tighter with lou.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/459624p-386753c.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/459642p-386765c.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/459681p-386783c.html

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The only reason they didn't hire Billy Martin is because he's dead. Christ, Lou Pinella again?

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Can I throw in a few thoughts here? I read the Daily News this morning but I wonder if the rest of you have and, if you have, please show me one corroborating quote saying this is going to happen. Sure, it might. But until I see a quote verifying it, I choose to wait and see what actually does happen.

Now, here's my sarcastic comment. Of course, it makes perfect sense to get rid of the one man who brought stability, class, dignity and -- oh, yes, four World Series championships -- to an organiztion that was groveling in the dirt when Buck Showalter was dismissed and Torre was the surprise replacement. What pomposity to say that since he hasn't won a World Series since 2000, Torre has lost it. How about giving him some pitchers who aren't too old to go six or seven innings, and a couple of position players who show they care. Only Jeter shows me that now.

And one more thing. If this is indeed coming from Steinbrenner, who hasn't had a coherent thought in years, wouldn't it be typical of the old George to steal headlines from the crosstown team getting to the NLCS by sweeping the Dodgers?

Thanks for listening to my thoughts.

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Here it is: From Bill Madden and TJ Quinn. Excellent work, especially for a game that ended after 7 p.m.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/459663p-386777c.html

BY BILL MADDEN and T.J. QUINN
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

DETROIT - Despite an 11-season run that will put him in the Hall of Fame, Joe Torre has probably spent his last day in a Yankee uniform after last night's stunning 8-3 loss to the Detroit Tigers.

After winning four World Series titles in his first five seasons but failing to win the Fall Classic over the past six, Torre is expected to be fired, sources said, and his replacement is expected to be former Yankee Lou Piniella.

Unless other team officials can talk The Boss out of it, or unless Torre, 66, agrees to resign in order to save face, sources said principal owner George Steinbrenner will replace the manager who was credited with returning the team to its fabled glory. Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman is expected to keep his job, as are most members of the front office. Torre may be offered another position within the organization.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Has this been confirmed or denied yet? WTF?

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And again I say to Moland Spring (or anybody else), show me a corroborating quote.

Draft saved Draft deleted