1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new york daily news: torre to be canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If they do hire Sweet Lou and keep ARod on the team.....Bronx Zoo redux

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lou is a pistol, he will go Byzantine on that media corps.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My buddy David Richard of the Lorain Journal got this great shot of Lou going nuts while managing the Mariners against the Indians. Can't wait til Lou does it with the Yankees:

[​IMG]

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm a Torre guy and a Yankee hater, but as much as I don't like what is about to happen, it was apparent that something was going to go down if the Yankees didn't make the World Series.

If I'm Brian Cashman, if I hear my name get bandied about in the Bronx, I'll be typing my resignation letter and getting the hell out of there too.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As a Yankee hater, this was the best thing possible.

Does Torre try to manage anywhere else, or will he be content with his four rings?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Buster Olney said Torre would be fired by the 2004 All-Star Break, so I'll believe it when I see it. Steinbrenner is in a nuclear funk right now and might feel differently tomorrow.

If it is one, ESPN obviously got torched on this story.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If it is one, then EVERYBODY got torched on it. NY Daily News was the only one reporting this. NY Times, Post, Newsday, Bergen, SI, my grandma, your grandma and George McClellan all got beat on this one.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

If Joe Torre gets fired, he'll only be unemployed as long as he wants to be.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If Torre's gone, I'd like to see him go to Texas.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Glad to know those are the papers in sum of record.

11. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

As both an objective baseball fan and a Yankee fan, I don't believe this just yet. Aside from Lou Piniella making the team an even bigger joke with his theatrics, can you imagine the fan whiplash a Torre firing/forced resignation would cause? I know Steinbrenner has gone senile, but I figure even he would realize he'd be persona non grata in the Five Boros.

PS - What about Girardi at the helm?

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Third base?

Draft saved Draft deleted