1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New York AG sues Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ny-sues-trump-university-and-its-get-rich-claims

These people attended a free seminar where they were sold a paid seminar. At the paid seminar they were sold a more expensive seminar.
    At the one that cost the most, $35,000, they were told they could have their picture taken with Trump. Turned out it was a cardboard cutout.
    I know he's probably broke already but I hope this is the end of him.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

Yeah, I hope he gets what's coming to him.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those idiots deserved to lose their money. I love bad things happening to Donald Trump, but I can't get fired up about this case.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, I'm not sure you can have huge expectations from a three day seminar. If you don't understand that it's a little different than a 4-year "University", then I don't have a ton of sympathy for you.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This story is all kinds of funny.

From the filing: "Instead of a personal appearance from Donald Trump as some consumers were led to expect, some participants got their photographs taken with a life-size photo of Mr. Trump."

But when you get past the comedy value of this. .... seriously, wtf is the attorney general doing anywhere near this?

Let's say Trump is defrauding people. Selling something and then not delivering it. Just like any other fraudulent transaction, those people have the right to bring civil action against him. The state AG shouldn't be involved. The people who bought his bullshit entered a freely entered contract -- between a bunch of idiots and Donald Trump. That is where it should begin and end. If they feel he broke that contract, THEY can sue civilly.

6. Smallpotatoes

Donald Trump is a piece of shit.

7. YankeeFan

What's the criteria?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He screwed up the USFL.

9. Smallpotatoes

Among other things.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is - Trump will have to admit that he's not involved with the program at all and sold his name to it (or more likely) got a cut of the profits. he can get out of it - but he won't look good having to admit why his isn't responsible.

11. YankeeFan

That's what folks who license their name do. How or why is that embarrassing?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted