1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Years superstitions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by luckyducky, Dec 19, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I watch football on Jan. 1. I end up watching football much of the year. Maybe there's something to that Japanese thing.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know someone around here who must blow donkeys on Jan. 1.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My Cuban wife and her family have a tradition of throwing a bucket of water out the back door at midnight. Out with the old, I suppose. They also eat 12 grapes apiece on New Year's eve.

Me, I just try not to be out cold in the backyard when they decide to throw out the bucket of water.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For the last couple years, I take a walk before midnight to reflect on the last year and past New Years. I usually end up just feeling like a deuce. But tradition's tradition.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I didn't know Wade Boggs was Cuban.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I go for a run on New Year's Day. Guess that explains a lot, eh?

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Your boss wants to give you New Years Day off because he thinks what you do on New Years Day is what you'll do for the rest of the year?

Like not have to work?

Like not have a job?

Clarification needed here...???

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I.e. if you spend Jan. 1 traveling, you'll be traveling for the rest of the year. If you spend it fighting with family, that will be the theme. If you spend it sitting on your ass, well, a lot of things wouldn't change for many of us.

I've heard it before. My non-Japanese parents passed it along to me, but I've usually forgotten how I spent Jan. 1 by, say, Jan. 20, so I can't remember if it's anything even close to true.

And Serve: yes. yes, it does.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My only superstition is that working on New Year's Eve is lucky since it means I'm starting the New Year in a show!

10. pallister

pallister Guest

No mention of hog jowls? When I moved down south as a kid, that custom horrified me. The jowls were accompanied by black-eyed peas. Have managed to avoid both my entire life.

And I like working Jan. 1 because the bowl games make for fun sports fronts. Of course, I would give up a couple nonessential fingers to go back to the days when I was a kid and could watch the Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl on New Year's.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

This is a fun thread. My family always had the pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes tradition, which is supposed to bring good luck but I've also had the black-eyed peas with friends from the South. I've worked plenty of New Years Days covering bowl games but I'm off this year and will be in Boston with my honey so maybe I'll try that tradition I think it was buckweaver mentioned about getting laid! ;)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why would you want to do Buckweaver?

Draft saved Draft deleted