1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by americansportssource, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What year of high school are you currently in and have you started considered which college to go to J-school at?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Learn how to sell steak knives first, that's the key. And why the hell should I give your NBA rankings any credence? What about you or your experience makes you remotely qualified to be authoratative?

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Hey, the kid said he was posting the rankings weakly, so he made no claim of expertise.

Please do update us with which offer you choose to accept.

4. Matt Stephens

For sure (assuming you're being serious since there's no blue text ;-))

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

No blue text. My initial reaction was that it's pretty ballsy to predict multiple offers in the near future, but it could be quite possible you had two interviews where they said something like, we want you but have to go through HR and get an offer letter together. So, I am just curious.

I once had two offers concurrently. It was actually really stressful. In this business you get so conditioned to just hoping for a better opportunity for months or years at a time, that when suddenly you have a small window to choose between two disparate chances, it kind of blows your wiring. I actually felt really bad/guilty toward the company I turned down, which I know makes no sense since they did not have a hard time finding someone else. But yet I still felt bad because I guess instinctively I knew just how grateful I would have been for that offer in the absence of the other offer.

6. Matt Stephens

I know what you mean. With one outlet I've done two interviews within a week and a half and the other I've done three (one with HR) and they're saying next step is likely bringing me in. Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself saying "within the week," but I definitely feel like my opportunity is coming soon with what I've been told.

The third outlet, I felt the interview went better, by far, than any of the others, but I was warned that the hiring was going to be a pretty slow process.

My main dilemma is, if both do offer, which do I take? They both pay very well (for this industry) as a starting salary our of college, but one is an editor position in a much more expensive place to live, the other a reporter where things are relatively cheap, but no where near as pretty.

Overall, I know I should just be thankful, but I keep going back and forth in my head about which would be a better career move.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation, but I found the choice relatively simple. One job was closer and a bigger paper. They other was across the country but had less emphasis on design, more on writing. I leaned toward the second initially, and then money played a role as the pay was comparable and the costs of living were far different. Felt bad about turning down the offer, becuase the people at the first paper had really been interested and classy the whole way.

Draft saved Draft deleted