1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New White Sox press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Has this been discussed yet?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070405greenstein,1,525803.column?coll=cs-home-utility

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Average fan isn't going to give a shit.
    But it is bullshit. And isn't going to get better.

3. yeah, but I like how he led with the perspective of an NBA announcer unable to pick out who a foul was called on. so he's leading by demonstrating how this trend does have an affect on fans, even if not directly in baseball ...

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A tidbit I found interesting at the end of the column is ESPN/ABC is going to use the yellow first-and-10 line during MLS games now to see if players are offsides.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They already do that extensively in Europe and I think on Mexican league games. Not a huge leap there.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

This is where the columnists should chime in.

Say something like: "Wow, that was a great pitch that handcuffed Jeter in the ninth inning, but of course we couldn't tell what kind of pitch that was from the new pressbox down the line."

Say it early and often. Nobody will do anything, probably, but it's a pain in the ass to the club when you remind fans regularly why your job just got harder.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Like they could tell to begin with. They figured it out by watching TV monitors before.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, that's why they suck also. But that's another thread.

9. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Yeah, but Greenstein is the media columnist. So he's doing his job by writing about it.

And as odd as it seems, fans do care about stuff like this. Whenever someone finds out I'm a sports writer, they want to know: 1. Where I sit. 2. What is it like?

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Sometime in the future, the following post-game scenario will arise:

Beat Writer: Ozzie, what happened on that play in the third that led to you getting tossed?

Ozzie: What the fuck? You were here, you saw it! It was a bullshit call!

Beat Writer: No, I didn't see it. The view from the new press box sucks and they won't show replays on the in-house feed.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'd heard st. louis redid its press box because it was so shitty and baseball threatened to take away the all-star game fter the terrible reviews from teh world series. someone told me the gutted the thing and started over. i haven't been there yet, any reviews?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went to St. Louis as a fan last year and called a friend in the press box to ask him what the fuck was up with that joint. He said it was every bit as bad as it appeared.
    Glad it was redone.

Draft saved Draft deleted