1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New UT beat writer in Nashville yet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Maybe Nashville wasn't willing to shell out for the moving expenses? The way they've been cutting costs, it wouldn't surprise me.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I heard Bryan Mullen took the UT beat.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The new UT beat writer wasn't going to live in Knoxville, but instead go back and forth.
    One day a week for reporting, and then gameday travel. A stringer on the ground would provide the trainers and fill in the gaps.
    The thinking was that one solid day of reporting would generate enough material for a Lookahead, mid-week feature, opponent story, notes, game preview and one more story as warranted.
    Gameday coverage would have been the quick hit gamer, a sider, a column from Biddle or Climer and some shared notes.
    The stringer would handle the Sunday press conference.
    That was just for football, hoops was going to be more complicated.
    What an appealing gig, a quarter of your week work driving between Nashville and Knoxville. No wonder people passed.

OK, I admit I just made all that up. But who believed it?

4. Sounded pretty plausible to me...

5. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

But it actually saves money having someone living in town. No paying mileage at all. Wow.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sounds like a shit job to me. Why not just post a sign on the front of the sports page saying, "we don't care if we get scooped."

7. That's what I thought. Maybe they wanted the guy to do something else while UT wasn't playing football or basketball.

Which, of course, would be worthy of another 'wow'...

8. Um, Jay was joking, guys...

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Omar, don't ruin my fun

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Sorry. Wasn't funny, especially given the state of our business.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Scary thing is, the last place I worked at expected me to do Jay's scenario.
    Congrats to Bryan if he did get the job.

12. A lot of places operate that way on college beats...

Draft saved Draft deleted