1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New twist in the Oilers refusal to pay $18,000 restaurant tab on NY's Eve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, oh, this could turn into SJ Tipping Thread # 245.

Around here I think 18-20% is standard on groups of six or more.

And Hank's right. Lot more work in serving big parties like this than say a table of four.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

At the negotiated $12,000, it works out to about $225 a head before the 18% tip. If it's really a high end Italian joint and drinking accounted for 1/3 of the tab (per original figures), this doesn't seem out of line.

So why did the jerkoff owner go public? He dickers down the bill, then rips the team for it anyway? He's lucky they didn't stiff him entirely and trash the restaurant just for the hell of it.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He's lucky it wasn't Chrissy and Paulie responsible for the bill.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I live in the area. I have never seen a built in tip as high as 18 per cent for a large group, mind you I've never spent $400 on a meal either. When I have seen the built in tips in this area they are usually either 10 or 15 per cent. Being an oil area getting stiffed on the tip usually doesn't happen more often than not they are usually leaving a considerable tip on top of the built in tip which is why usually it isn't that high in this area.

And for the record I usually tip between 15 and 25 percent depending on the service.

The only point I was trying to make with my original post was that I am sure the restaurant owner wasn't completely innocent in this situation that he was likely a little opportunistic when he saw an NHL team walk in the door - proven I think by going to the media the way he did originally. Does it let the oilers off the hook, absolutely not

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

did the oilers have their bratty kids with them at the restaurant?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

considering most of them are in their early 20s I don't think most of them are even married, and with a bar tab alone of $8,000 it doesn't sound like it was a family outing. Group of about 50, Im thinking team officials and some girlfriends and for the few that are married, maybe a wife or two

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you must've missed the "kids at nice restaurants" battles around here

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

FYI Beef, when my wife worked at the hotel bar in Lloyd, THEY added a 15 per cent gratuity for any party larger than 10.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All I had said gomer was that I hadn't seen 18 per cent, that 10 or 15 per cent was normal for the built in gratuity, and that includes some nicer restaurants in Edmonton, and I know often there is a tip left on top of that.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Edmonton must be different than the rest of country.

18% is the average in most Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver restaurants. 15% is the low end. 10%? Well, maybe 40 years ago.

Sorry, 18% is not gouging but as you said, that's not the point. The Oilers should have paid up and the assclown owner should have shut up. He's a dick.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So the food was $10,000 for 45 people?

Let's say that $3,000 was for tip, that is still about $150 a head for food. Does this place sell $100 meals?

I'm going to say that a lot of what was on the bill never made it to the table if you know what I mean.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The place in question is as high-end as it gets (they've served presidents and other dignitaries), so yes, $150 a head for food isn't surprising. I'm guessing a lot of pathetically-portioned appetizers will up the bill quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted