1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New TV shows - Leverage, Damages

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 8, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Anyone else liking these shows?

I'm new to Damages, only catching the final two episodes of last season and the season two premier last night. But this is a great, complex show - tremendous acting and writing.

Leverage is a great new show on TNT. I have to catch up on some of the episodes from earlier in the season via ON DEMAND, but I like it. It's a notch below favorites like The Shield, Dexter, Californication, and 24, but solid TV nonetheless.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Know what I realized about "Leverage"? It's basically a modern-day version of "The A Team" -- band of misfits wanted by the law lands in a new location every week, running a scam on some evildoer to avenge a poor wronged victim. All it needs is Mr. T.

3. EStreetJoe

Leverage has better writing and better acting.
    I don't think the band of misfits in Leverage is wanted by the law -- the criminals are good enough at what they do where the law doesn't know who they are. The leader of the team's character who has done nothing illegal - if you watched the pilot episode he was brought in to lead the team because he's an honest man.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Sunday. 24 finally comes back.

5. EStreetJoe

Agreed.
    With The Shield gone and Dexter and Californication on haitus until their new seasons start later this year, need to find me some more TV shows to watch besides 24 and reruns of other stuff, and Damages and Leverage are filling the bill.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Season 1 of Damages was excellent. I didn't even think they were going to do a Season 2 and was a bit skeptical, but the premiere - especially the final minute - has me ready to commit to watching another season.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost didn't recognize Glenn Close. She's had some work done, quality work I must say (it's like she's merging with Laura Linney), but it is quite evident when they do the flashbacks.
    I really enjoy the show, trying to figure out where every character is coming from, where they're going. And you can't beat a cast that includes Ted Danson, William Hurt, James Naughton (brother of the Dr. Pepper guy), Phiilip Bosco, Marcia Gay Harden and Timothy Olyphant. A bonus will be seeing John Doman (late of The Wire) play the uber-defendant.
    I really enjoy Leverage, I guess you could compare it to The A Team (minus car chases, gunplay and explosions), but a better comparison is the recent A&E Show "Hustle."
    Also back Nip/Tuck, Psych and Monk. Why are cable shows more consistently riveting than broadcast? Is there any reason Damages couldn't be on network?
    I really don't know why networks aren't going with 13-ep season orders, - a show comes on, maybe it comes back for another season, maybe it doesn't, but viewers know they'll get a full 13-ep run.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can't wait to start watching Season 2 of Damages. Season 1 was amazing.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got Damages saved on the Tivo. Going to wait for a few more episodes to build up and then watch them in a marathon viewing sessions.
    While Damages is a great, great show, I won't have to worry about dodging spoilers. That's what I did with the Shield and it was fantastic to watch them all back to back.

10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So Leverage is back. Liked the show last year. Interesting twist this year - it's set in Boston, but was filmed out here in Portland.

12. Resurrecting this thread. Just found out about leverage, and LOVED the pilot. If anyone was a fan of Hustle on the BBC before it's cast bolted and the show died, it is basically an american version. Almost all of the characters are likable and interesting right off the bat. I would recommend this to sj land.

Draft saved Draft deleted