1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New trial in music downloading case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The Brainerd, Minn. woman convicted of pirating music has been granted a new trial.

Judge grants new trial in music downloading case

The judge said he made an error in jury instructions which prejudiced the jury.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This woman from up Brainerd?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

::)

I still have never seen that movie and have absolutely no plans to do so.

Back on topic....

This could have some interesting ramifications with the difference between actually distributing the music versus simply having it available to download.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is that like when the coach says if Joe Schmoe backup kicker makes a 40-yard FG, practice is over? And then Joe Schmoe misses, but the coach doesn't like the result, so he calls offsides?

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

6. KG

KG Active Member

So is Limewire legal or not? I don't download from there, but I have friends that do. They swear it's legal.

Also, if things like the torrent sites are illegal, then how do they remain in operation?

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Who needs limewire and bit torrent when a free youtube-to-mp3 converter is available download.com and works quite well?

8. KG

KG Active Member

You don't get full movies on youtube like you do bit torrents.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My understanding is that the torrent sites are still legal because they haven't found a way to police it.

Limewire is not.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Technically Limewire may be legal... but virtually everything you'll find on there is being traded illegally. Same with the torrent sites. While the sites have potentially legit uses, it's illegal to trade copyrighted material on those sites.

And the sound quality from a youtube to mp3 transfer is going to be heinous.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Most Torrent sites aren't US based and/or are impossible to track down because a paper trail finding one person/a group of people responcibile for it's creation has yet to emerge.

Limewire is illegal for all intents and purposes, but the same thing applies. Until the courts can find a way to nail down someone at the top of the food chain, they'll just go after Joe Schmoe downloader.

Of course, most of these trials are just to set an example. They've yet to go after (in a real way) people downloading one or two songs but are aiming their efforts at people with thousands of songs on their system and on the networks.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My confusion as always been on location. Are they just illeagle in the US or are they illeagle in Canada as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted