1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 22, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got to give him a pass on WVU, because he's had them up high from the start, and they haven't done anything to deserve dropping.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That dog doesn't hunt for me.

It's a fancy way of saying that you don't want to admit YOU were wrong.

You know damn well by this point than Michigan is a better team. You adjust accordingly.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It is good to know what someone did 10-15, 100 years ago has something to do with how to assess them today. ::)

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sorry, I don't buy that Whitlock is merely fucking with people. Miami as a Top 25 team is the type of structurally defective argument he has a history of getting behind.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yep, you're darned right Michigan is better than West Virginia. Why just look what happened the last time they played.

Why, the record book tells me Michigan won 103-0 exactly 103 years ago today, on Oct. 22, 1903. And it turns out Michigan's coach at the time was Fielding "Hurry-Up" Yost, a native of Fairview, W.Va., who clearly knew the job at his home state university was a dead-end. When, oh when, will Richie Rodriguez (whose hometown is 8 miles away from Fairview) wise up and come to that realization?!?!?!?

[/sarcasm. but the aforementioned facts are true]

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Michigan, for all the hype everyone is giving them, is better than USC and deserves No. 2 status. Maybe No. 3 ahead of West Virginia.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

USC might eke by teams, but those teams are good ones -- Arkansas (6-1), Nebraska (6-2), Washington State (5-3), Arizona State (4-3), Washington (4-4) and Arizona (3-5). Take Arkansas-Nebraska and there's your equivalent to the Notre Dame-Wisconsin combo that the Wolverines won.

They've both played good teams, and they've both struggled to put away some weaker teams. Others on here have gone through the trouble to document USC's troubles, so I'll let those arguments stand. But when I look at Michigan, I know Vanderbilt won at Georgia and damn near beat Arkansas and Alabama, too, but those programs aren't supposed to be on the level with Michigan this season. And it took Michigan two touchdowns in the final 18 minutes to make it 27-7.

Wolverines struggled with Minnesota, too, 28-14. Granted, that was in the dome -- but North Dakota State pushed the Gophers in a 10-9 loss. And to struggle at home against overrated Iowa was a surprise.

To clarify, I won't dispute Michigan being No. 2 in the country if that's how some see it. I do dispute the notion that the Wolverines are, by far and away, the second-best team in the nation. I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Draft saved Draft deleted