1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New top 25... Now that the Pac 10 agrees with me, anyone care to recant?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 17, 2006.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

I'd probably put vandy in the top 25. why, you say?
    They played Michigan in the Big House just about as closeas mighty Notre Dame did at home, had a chance to beat alabama at Alabama, and then got a royal screwing by an SEC crew on a backwards pass that was ruled incomplete instead of a fumble. the play would have gone for a defensive touchdown, thereby erasing a 14-13 Arkansas lead and possibly leading to a win.
    But wait, the commodores are 0-3 and nowhere near the top 25.
    They should be 2-1, but instead they are 0-3. A result is a result, no matter how screwed up the officiating is.
    Oregon beat Oklahoma, therefore, Oregon should be ranked higher.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

Very, very well put.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The only problem with 12overpar's argument is that the Commodores didn't have the Michigan, Alabama and Arkansas games STOLEN from them by officials' incorrect calls.

Oklahoma did. There's no argument there.

12overpar needs to focus more on the things he's familiar with - namely double bogeys, three putts and the occasional shank. ;D

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Seems to me that if you're giving credit to Oklahoma for the "win", you need to drop Oregon farther for "losing."

5. Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

Yeah, this Oregon thing is nuts. I watched the replay on ESPNU after we put the paper to bed and while the onside kick was an egregious fuckup, the pass interference tipped ball was not inconclusive evidence, which is what replay has to be. At least not with the angles ABC presented.

This would be a moot point if the same receiver had not emasculated the Oklahoma DB on the very next play.

An aside, West Virginia can't be dropped for continuing to win big against its opponents.

6. Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

if brohm hadn't been hurt, i'd rank louisville in my top 10...

oregon didn't fall far in my poll because they "lost" a close game to a top 15 team...

take away the bogus officiating and oregon does not outgain oklahoma by 131 yards....

i can't express how much the feedback on here helps me think about my poll vote... keep the comments coming every week. it really factors into my thinking. it's impossible to watch every team and every game. the voting is a work in progress until november... this stuff really helps.

no way purdue should receive a top 25 vote....the boilers should've lost to my ball state cardinals had we attacked them properly for four quarters...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedba

Coming soon from Whitlock: the Pythagorean national champion.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Look, I'm an LSU homer, but they got dicked in the polls (although not as bad as they got dicked by the refs). They're better than Florida, and probably Texas. Falling four spots because you lose a tough game on the road is silly. And whoever said LSU has no offense is silly -- they've got a lot of horses, but they need to get 'em on track. They'll almost certainly put more than 40 points on the board against Tulane this weekend and on Mississippi State next Saturday.
    Auburn needs to really step up the Kenny Irons for Heisman campaign....

9. dooley_womack1

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedba

Unfortunately, whipping those two won't really help them gain ground. They're supposed to cream those teams.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can see that. Kansas State should be a good test. Beating decent (or better) teams on the road has been the Cardinals achilles' heel the past few years. A win this week could be as telling as the Miami win.

11. dooley_womack1

Not really, Free-hack. K-State's not that good anymore.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

South Florida wasn't good last year (Hi Webby!) and they beat the crap out of the Cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted