1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New top 25... Now that the Pac 10 agrees with me, anyone care to recant?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

PC, I disagree. I saw the defender tip the football on the PI call. I saw the guy on the onsides kick touch it eight yards from the 35 yard line. It's impossible to argue otherwise, in my opinion.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedba

Well, Oklahoma didn't rise above a questionable call. It had a chance to stop Oregon's offense after the kick, and it folded like a deck chair. Then it had a chance to kick a winning field goal from a makable distance, and it botched the play royally. It didn't show itself to be deserving of any mercy or credit. Simple as that. Luckily, the AP voters as a whole got it right.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedback

I saw the guy on the onside kick land two or three yards beyond the line, though, making that one hell of a jump. And on the tipped pass, the wobble of the ball certainly looked consistent with a tipped pass, but I never saw a replay that proved to me the guy touched it.

Again, I think in both cases the call on the field was probably wrong, but I don't think I would have overturned either one.

And for the record, I think replay sucks. I wish they'd do away with it in college.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

or what?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UGA is going to smite Tennessee in a couple of weeks.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Then what is the point of playing the game if the result doesn't matter?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Funny, I remember everyone saying, "Whoever plays West Virginia in the BCS game is going to kill them." And then Georgia, um, didn't. So keep saying that, I'm sure the Mountaineers are used to it. I can't stand West Virginia, but it cracks me up to see so many people bagging on them already.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not like the polls haven't reflected "gifts" in the past. Tom Osborne's gold watch when he retired in 1997 comes to mind ... but yes, I agree with you.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jason,

Had Brohm not torn ligaments in his thumb, would you have ranked Louisville higher than 12th?

Not trying to be critical. I'm just trying to gauge what people may think of Louisville now they're without their top two players.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Totally agree with you, Jason, about having Oklahoma ranked higher than Oregon. Play that game 10 times - with neutral offiicials - and the Sooners win the next 9.

I understand the logic behind your West Virginia love, but the Mountaineers won't get past Louisville later in the season.

You've got Auburn too low; Muschamp's defense may be the fastest they've ever had on the Plains.

And get Bama out of the Top 25. That train derailment begins next week against a really bad Arkansas team.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: New top 25.... Oklahoma moves ahead of Oregon in my poll...thanks for feedba

West Virginia is freaking good. Deal with it, people. They have a soft schedule, yes, probably one of the softest in the country, but they're legit. Their running game would absolutely punk some of these SEC defenses, despite what so much of the college football media would love for you to believe. I love watching SEC football, but I'm sick and tired of hearing how awesome these defenses are simply because half the coaches in the conference are terrified of the forward pass.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Those coaches are terrified of it because they don't have anyone who can throw it. For the most part, SEC football has been the most overrated offering of at least the last couple of seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted