1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Superhighway?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does anyone read stuff at Alex Jones' infowars.com?

This is interesting, if true ...

http://www.infowars.com/articles/nwo/american_union_media_cant_contain.htm

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh jesus, that's stuff for the tinfoil hat crowd....
    There has been talk for a while about a "NAFTA highway" that would go from Canada, through the U.S., to Mexico....I think it would be Interstate 69 (insert joke here). I think the plan was the highway was going to run from Minneapolis, south to Houston and there was some thinking about just extending it a little further on each end so it could cross the borders. I remember writing a little bit about it 10 or so years ago, when some officials with the state Department of Transportation and the local Congressman was trying to get it running through the area where I was living. I have no idea what happened to these plans or if they're still progressing. Considering the pace of interstate highway construction, this might not be finished until my grandchildren are in nursing homes.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

There are already a few different ways to drive from the Canadian border to the Mexican border via interstate.

• I-5 from the Washington border crossing south of Vancouver, B.C. to Tijuana.
    • I-15 from Sweetgrass, Mont. to I-15 at San Diego, from there to TJ.
    • I-15 from Sweetgrass to Butte, Mont., I-90 from there to Buffalo, Wyo., I-25 from there to El Paso.
    • I-29 from Pembina, N.D. to Kansas City, I-35 from there to Laredo.

And there's already an I-69 in existence. It runs from the border crossing at Port Huron, Mich. to Indianapolis, from where you could take I-70 to pick up I-35 at KC, I-25 at Denver or I-15 at Cove Fort, Utah. Or you could get off I-70 at St. Louis, take I-44 to Okie City and jump on I-35 there.

Just remember, though -- while you're rolling up Interstate 44 like a rocket sled on rails, tear up all of your swindle sheets and leave 'em setting on the scales. [/cwmccall]

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think there are several "NAFTA corridors" named. One of them roughly follows I-35, and the Texas portion is supposed to be this massive 12-lane toll road that bypasses Dallas with passenger and freight rail lines and separate truck lanes. It's Rick Perry's big boondoggle.

Of course, the farmers hate the plan because it goes through the country and takes their acreage, and Dallas hates it because it bypasses their city. Kinky would probably say we have 2,000 farm-to-market roads, and that should suffice.

Alex Jones, though, is king of the tinfoil hat set. I think he has a radio show on KLBJ in Austin but I've never caught it when down there periodically. He's on Art Bell occasionally.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The semi-official plans are to extend I-69 from Indy down through Evansville (Hi OTR!) andf Memphis, before cutting into backwoods Arkansas and eventually ending up somewhere around Laredo. Some overreaching Chamber of Commerce types came up with the NAFTA Superhighway name to try and drum up federal support, and the nutjob set let imaginations run wild from there.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Dixie, that sounds like what I wrote about. And there were some Chamber types who were trying to get it to cut through central Louisiana, who used phrases like "the NAFTA Highway."

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The extension of I-69 south to Memphis makes sense, especially since there are already some freeway stretches of road between there and Evansville that could be integrated into a new highway.

Draft saved Draft deleted