1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New study: Basketball referees do indeed favor the home team.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And they make make-up calls. And they make more calls against the team in the lead. And that discrepancy grows if the game's on national TV.

In short, there's a study published in The Journal Of Sport Sciences, using a 365-game sample, that appears to prove that everything you already believe about basketball officiating is correct.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091123/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkc_referee_bias

I await five pages of replies running from "I told you so, motherfuckers! I always told you so!" to "I knew those cheating bastards robbed us!", in the latter case listing multiple examples of exactly who was robbed by which bastards.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Shocking. Did the government pay for this?

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Did they do a study on how the NBA rigs its draft?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

No surprise here. Merely stating the obvious.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can understand how if you are an official 15,000 people voicing their opinion can have an unconscious influence on your decision. But the make-up calls are bullshit and always drive me nuts.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I never understood why refs checked the scorebook at the half. Now I know why.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Dog bites man.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I've never understood why basketball coaches complain if the foul count isn't even. Well, I understand it - it isn't like they complain when their team picked up fewer fouls - but is there any particular reason the foul count *should* be even?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not if the officials are rotating properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted