1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Star Wars flick coming to theaters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20080212/120286058900.html

I haven't seen this posted, although I haven't been reading the geek thread.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Well, seeing as the last three were almost all animation anyway, I'd say he's got a good jump on it.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I'm such a Star Wars geek I read some of the books that weren't from the movies. The one I thought would make a great movie was a book written that takes place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. It basically tells what Boba Fett had to go through to transport Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. Every bounty hunter in the galaxy is chasing Boba Fett. Plus Princess Leia and Lando Calrissian are trying to figure out who Boba Fett is and where he is taking Han Solo. Lots of senseless violence and bloodshed. Good stuff.

4. I'm pretty stoked about the fourth Indy movie coming out in May. They released the teaser for it and the iconography and shooting style sent shivers down my spine. I think it is going to be a good one.

That said, this new Clone Wars series (though I do understand it'll hit cinemas, too) is going to be great. Unlike the first two DVDs, which were a tad too cartoonish for my taste, the animation on the new one is rocking.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's the one everyone read, where they basically did everything they would do for a movie (comic book adaptation, soundtrack CD, video game, new toys, etc.) except without the movie.

Shadows of the Empire, featuring Dash Rendar.

As for this new clone wars . . . . I don't know . . . . I never read most of the novels, because I remembered that the Star Trek ones I wasted my childhood on were not canon. The Star wars ones were, sort of, and Mucas incorporated some of the characters into the prequels. And I read Heir to the Empire and its two sequels, and figured those were Episodes VII, VIII and IX and that's all I care to read beyond the films.

This new series features a couple of things that may shoot holes into the established continuity. One of those is Anakin apparently having an apprentice, which as a Padawan himself for most of the clone wars, I wonder how they'll get that in there. Still, it's being done by Mucasfilm, and I imagine those dudes know exactly what the nerdboys want.

So yeah, I'll be taping it weekly.

AS for Indy: I hope it's not two hours of "Gee, he's OLDER!!!" jokes. The trailer had a couple of those . . .

6. sportschick

I loved the Dash Rendar character. Course he was essentially Han while Han was frozen.

As for Anakin having a padawan, it's not as if Lucas didn't fuck with some of the continuity already. Leia claims to have memories of her real mother, and Padma died during childbirth.

7. Piotr Rasputin

"Images and feelings" can work for someone whose mother died in childbirth. Also, Leia likely believes what she wants to believe. "She was very beautiful, but sad."

8. sportschick

Leia may believe what she wants to believe, but it still bugs the shit out of me. I can't fathom anyon having any images or feelings of their birth 25-30 years later. Although it is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, so maybe people's brains run differently.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That always bugged me, too, but it could've been a force thing.

My problem was her having memories, but Luke did not...and he was even born first.

10. Piotr Rasputin

I don't why it couldn't have simply come about through a talk Leia may have had - like all kids have - with her foster daddy.

Leia, as a little girl: "Foster daddy, what was my real mommy like?"

Foster daddy: "Uh . . . . she was beautiful . . but sad, because she wouldn't get to raise a wonderful child like you."

Leia: "Cool!"

Voila. Childhood "memory" created.

OR: Leia's adoptive mother was this way due to the troubles in the galaxy, and was sad, which Leia projected. Isn't "beautiful!" an idealized projection? And "but sad" a representation of how Leia was a freedom fighter against oppression her whole life, so how could her mommy NOT be sad in a world like that?

This is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of Star Wars and decisions Mucas made in the prequels (midichlorian??!?!); Leia believed what she wanted to believe, told Luke what he wanted to hear, and ultimately didn't say much anyway. Images and feelings.

I never put a lot of thought into it . . I guess I just now did.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I guess that's the problem when you have 4-5 writers writing different books in the same series.

Another of the good non-movie ones is Dark Lord -- The Rise of Darth Vader, by James Luceno

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Star Wars has sucked since Return of the Jedi.

Draft saved Draft deleted