1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEW: Staff editor, CBS SportsLine.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Craig_Stanke, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Craig_Stanke

Craig_Stanke New Member

CBS SportsLine.com, the website for CBS Sports based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and part of CBS Digital Media, has an opening for a staff editor.

We're looking for somebody with three to five years experience, print or online sports, with an eye toward eventually taking a supervisory role in our newsroom operation.

Staff editors at SportsLine maintain the various arena pages, edit staff and wire copy, process news and game recaps, edit photos -- basically all the daily news/feature/column production for the site. Nights and weekends are involved; the site is close to a 24/7 operation.

This is NOT a writing position, and the person hired should not take it with the expectation it might turn into one.

CBS Digital Media is a part of CBS Corp., with all the typical benefits you'd expect from a company of that size, including 401(k) with a match, excellent health and life insurance, etc.

Those interested should e-mail managing editor Mark Swanson at maswanson@cbs.com.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Once again, telecommuting is not an option, therefore, neither am I.

I'd love a gig like this, though.

Craig's good people, as long as you don't file after deadline. ;)

3. Craig_Stanke

Craig_Stanke New Member

Heck, I was even nice about that. :)

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Will we have to Google Doyel's mailbag respondents, or does he do that himself?

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Is this to replace the guy who let Doyel's outing column get through?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I love this place.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What's the ballpark pay on this?

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Ditto, any thoughts on pay. What's Fort Lauderdale like? Diet Miami?

9. Word from my three homeys who used to work at Sportsline sez it's not much fun to work there. That they don't treat us college graduates all that well. Even though we have, you know, our college degrees and prefer to find really good professional jobs with really good professional companies.

I'm not saying. I'm just asking. Anyone know more?

And I'd like to know what the pay range is also. Websites are famous for not paying as much as newspapers.

I'd especially like to know this stuff from Mr. Stanke and Mr. Swanson.

10. Get real, Heywood. Yeah, maybe your blogspot page doesn't pay you like a newspaper, but there's a reason people are ditching papers to take gigs at the bigger national Internet sites.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

also the guy who let Freeman get the words "circle jerk" into a column.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Pretty sure Haywood exists solely to take potshots at SportsLine, which is admittedly easy. Just about everybody I know whose done time at SportsLine has gone on to bigger and better things, so it can't be all bad now, can it? I know there are at least two former employees who have spoken up on threads against guys like you, so again, how bad can it be?

Draft saved Draft deleted