1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out tomorrow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

No, knock yourself out to go to enjoy songs that are nearly 40 years old and go to the bathroom for the new songs. I just don't understand why people go to concerts to see an artist who they think doesn't have it anymore. And btw, I saw Bruce before you, in 1978.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This isn't a pissing contest about who saw Bruce before who, I know there are those in these parts who go back much further than that.

You were questioning why a guy like me, who apparently doesn't like him because I had the nerve to opine that this new single doesn't do much for me, would have the temerity to post on this thread. So I answered back. I am not a sports journalist either, but have no problem throwing my two cents worth in around here.

Again, never said he couldn't bring it on stage. He is clearly on the back nine as a recording artist, but he is the best live act I have ever seen - bar none - and he can still bring it live even though he is over 60. Almost every band touring today could learn a thing or two from him on how to put on a live show.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

At this point, he's probably not making many new fans just on the back of his recent recordings. But he's 61 years old, meaning that those who are not onboard probalby aren't listening to very many 61 year olds and deciding that they are fans. I've been to shows where friends bring along their 14-22 year old kids and they are blown away by the show.

His recorded music is always secondary to the live shows because he's Bruce Springsteen, one of the greatest live performers in the history of rock. I have every one of his CDs and almost never listen to them once I have a bootleg of the same music.

And Lucky Town was awesome.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Actually, I wasn't questioning you about why you were posting on this thread. That remark was directed toward someone else, who, I'm sure knows who they are. I know you have posted a lot on Springsteen threads before but for some reason you decided I was talking about you. I mean people can have whatever opinions they want, I just never understand the hate directed toward Bruce but I guess if you go out on that limb, you have to expect it sometimes with the political blowback. So I'm sorry if you thought that remark was directed toward you because it wasn't.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you will still be "allowed" to buy tickets if you're so inclined.

If you actually did "follow his career very closely" (bullshit meter howling) you would know he has played hardly anything from "Human Touch/Lucky Town" (released 20 years ago this year) since reuniting with the ESB so if those songs irritate you, you haven't been tortured by their performance very frequently in the last decade or so. So rest your little head.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand he doesn't play those songs, I threw that out there to point out that my disinterest in some of his recorded output isn't strictly limited to Working On A Dream and this single.

Your bullshit meter (Is it spelled metre in Canada? I don't know) might be defective

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can I point out that the photo on the sleeve of the single looks like Landon Donovan, or would that be heresy too?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

According to the iTunes listing it's the first song on the album.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bruce Springsteen and Starman, the only real Americans left.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And this guy....

[​IMG]

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I trust you will refrain from negative posts of any kind to stay true to your online posting beliefs.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

nah it's working fine, I just flipped through the debate and it hit the ceiling.

Draft saved Draft deleted