1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sports Columnist at Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, May 14, 2009.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Some people might say that naming a new sports columnist at The Baltimore Sun is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. After canning Rick Maese and now naming this replacement, I’d say it’s more like shooting a torpedo into the side of the ship that didn’t hit the iceberg.

Long-time alleged "humor" columnist Kevin Cowherd is moving from the Today section to become the new sports columnist at The Sun. The way he announced this news in today’s column is pretty emblematic of his writing:

The archive of his work, for those who are interested:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bal-columnist-cowherd,0,2832097.columnist

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Didn't Cowherd work in sports back in the day?

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yes, he did.

4. VJ

VJ Member

Does this mean they'll be allowed to have more than 4 staff stories in their section now?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I usually recoil at the name "Cowherd" with my sports, but I'll see what Kevin has to offer.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Don't like the rodeo, do you?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Baltimoreguy, thought you might be interested in this story:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mine-that-bird14-2009may14,0,33378.story

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Saw this coming from the moment Maese was let go from Baltimore.

When he was laid off, the very first thought I had was that Rick would be working for the L.A. Times within a week.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That was a damn good story.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Judging from the e-mail address - it appears the story was a free-lance gig for Maese.

11. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

That was a good story -- seems to me it's the kind of storytelling the Maese does best. To be honest, I always thought he was a little miscast as a columnist. His writing seems kind of lyrical to me and needs a little space to breathe.

I'll still miss him in The Sun, though.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It was.
    His skills are perfect for a short takeout/G.A. gig. And, those of you who have read Rick over the years, know many of his best columns were storytelling.

Draft saved Draft deleted