1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sorkin Trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Veep is mildly amusing at best. Not horrible, but definitely not as good as it could be.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I liked Veep a lot. Thought they nailed it actually.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

After watching Trailer #1, I thought: Could be 'Network' meets 'Broadcast News 2012' meets 'What Keith Olbermann Envisioned Himself As But Wasn't.'

After watching Trailer #2, I thought: Oh no, Sorkin preaches again.

Campbell Brown tried this approach, folks. Remember her CNN show 'No Bias, No Bull'?

It rated for shit, and the plug was pulled.

4. printit

printit Member

This is sort of one of my problems with the show. The joke early on is he is the Jay Leno of news and that people watch him because he's non-political. Um, yeah, but that's not what people are watching, on either side.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not that two years matters, but it's set in 2010.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just saw something on the making of the show on HBO. I've already found a line I really like.

"You should shut up more than you do."

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'd put Leo ahead of Jeb and no one behind Mandy. And I'd have put Alan Alda's Vinnick on the list, since a few other less interesting "West Wing" temps made the cut. Apart from that I cannot quibble.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Grantland's Andy Greenwald panned "The Newsroom" too.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/51842/the-newsroom-aaron-sorkins-toxic-mess

Thing is, when this show gets ripped, it gets ripped for the thing I like about Sorkin shows -- its overbearing idealism and preachiness. Because, you know, liberal bastions like newsrooms or TV sets, they're like that.

9. outofplace

I'm assuming they used only characters from when Sorkin was writing The West Wing, which should leave Vinnick out.

But yes, Mandy absolutely belongs at the bottom of the list.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Right, I'd almost forgotten Vinnick and Santos were post-Sorkin.

That show went through a couple truly awful years after he left, but the election was a high note to end it on.

11. outofplace

Love the story they used with Leo, partly because I watched that episode on DVD tonight by coincidence. For those who don't remember, it was the episode in which Josh met with a therapist who told him he post-traumatic stress disorder.

They left out the most important line of the scene. "As long as I've got a job, you've got a job."

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot - just sent me into a Toby quote hunt. Don't know which Toby I liked better, the grand master of eloquence or the guy who could refer to various pieces of policy as a "thing."

Draft saved Draft deleted