1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sorkin Trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re first graf: in terms of episodic tube "entertainment", there are clearly issues. Both Sports Night and Studio 60 became bothersomely-repetitive, all too soon. It may just be me, but believe Sorkin's style is better-suited to movies.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I recently purchased the full series of The West Wing on DVD. Now I know he didn't last the whole series, but still, what I'm seeing as I re-watch it from the beginning does not agree with your assessment.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

West Wing, like almost any other series that lasts that long, was great for a few years, mediocre for a bit and then came back a bit at the end...

I'm one of the few who thinks the early shows that use Martin Sheen sparingly are far better.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm on Episode 12. This is "sparingly?"

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Catch up with "Veep," JD. Good show.

6. outofplace

Good point. The time where he had a smaller role in the show ended very quickly. I just finished season one and the first two episodes of season two, the ones with the flashbacks to the first presidential campaign and a heavy focus on the relationship between Bartlet and Josh. I'd forgotten how much I love the scene with them in the airport the night of the Illinois Primary. (I'm trying not to spoil too much for IJAG here, which is funny since we're talking about episodes that aired so long ago.)

The West Wing definitely had its rough stretch in the middle. It was still good, but not great. I loved the last season. I still wish they had kept going with the new president.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You can spoil things, as long as it's not when people leave the show. As I said on FB, I forget the show but I went to IMDB and one of my favorite characters two eps in was only in six eps. And that just ruined everything for me.

Though people have already ruined Mandy's departure, and I wish it were 10 episodes ago. I hate her so very very much.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't seen Season One since it originally aired, but I remember him being used a lot less in the first two seasons as he was the rest of the time.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

Sepinwall did a Q&A with Sorkin:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-newsroom-creator-aaron-sorkin-on-keith-olbermann-and-his-return-to-tv

Discusses the reason for setting it in 2010, why he went back to TV, Fox News/MSNBCization of cable news, and the like.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks, gentlemen. I just pulled the trigger. What the hell.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Patting myself on the back as I watch this prediction become 100 percent correct.

12. outofplace

Always liked the actress, but I never liked that character. I remember all of the big moments, but with many of the small ones, it is as if I'm seeing them for the first time and this show always did a great job with the small moments.

I'm looking forward to The Newsroom despite the shaky reviews, as are the Sorkin fans in my family (my mother and mother-in-law, who both loved The West Wing even more than I did). There's already a line to borrow season 1 now that I'm finished with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted