1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sorkin Trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 2, 2012.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Second trailer:

http://youtu.be/lgFZbrwmndA

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I might have to add HBO. Again.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does anybody do indignity better than Sam Watterston?

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It didn't help that Sorkin seemed to be using "Studio 60" to work out his Kristin Chenoweth break-up issues.

I'm still disappointed by that show (though it had a fabulous pilot). If Sorkin's reworking his material from that era, with in a more sensible setting and less of his own weird emotional baggage, could be very good.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This show has the potential to be really good, and OVERWHELMINGLY smug. Probably at the same time.

It will not be treated kindly by people who blog about television for a living, I suspect. Sepinwall is probably the exception.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And it was all downhill from there.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Very good prediction, I bet. The trailer featured an awful lot of media navel gazing; seems to me The Daily Show and Colbert do all this so much better.

8. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

A friend sent me a message after watching the Newsroom trailer:

"Dear Aaron Sorkin: Movies."

I didn't expect to agree with him, but I do. I just feel like I've seen this one before, albeit in bits and pieces. When he writes a film, though, it's fantastic.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but it's not good when your show hits its peak before the opening credits run the first time.

Like others have said, Studio 60 had potential, but it seemed like Sorkin's entire knowledge of sketch comedy came from reading the SNL oral history book and all he wanted to do was write about his own girl troubles.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The show had some good moments. Sorkin can still write and he had some good actors to work with. But it was still a huge disappointment that deserved to be cancelled.

Not sure I agree that he should only write movies, though. Sorkin gave us a damn good show in Sports Night and a great one with The West Wing.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I wish I had HBO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b0p-LnSUDSc

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I never watched Studio 60. It aired on a night I always had to work and it was before I had a DVR. My understanding is that the major problem with that show was the that comedy sketches weren't funny.

But politics, both national and inter-office, is right in Sorkin's wheelhouse. So I'm betting "The Newsroom" will be pretty damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted