1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SJ Owner

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 5, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And I meant to say tried in that last post, not tired, BUT I CAN'T GO BACK IN TO FIX IT!

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Sorry guys, I'd set it at 5 minutes when I took over the board (up from what I thought was 0), and then decided to up it to 48 hours, but forgot to actually up the limit in the admin panel... my apologies.

That's fixed now, so you can edit anything you posted in the last 48 hours. If you need something edited beyond that, please PM a staff member.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thank you for your prompt action. I will now seek medical attention for the stroke I gave myself by yelling about this.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

But yet you can type so perfectly... ;)

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I really lament the inability to delete old posts. I went through a deep depression about a year ago and some of the stuff I posted, I would really like to go away.

I abandoned an account I had for several years due to the inability to delete because I had used my real name and while I didn't really cross any lines, I still had some posts that were, how should I say it, not exactly vanilla. Knowing it's still there makes me cringe (one post being a very valid complaint virtually every response agreed with, yet not flattering) because hiring managers can search for that.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where'd you get that idea? :) Most of the best threads on this site have little to do with either. While many of us are/were in the business, it's become about a lot more than that. The journalism discussions are regretfully a fraction of what they were, and the sports threads more often than not turn into pissing matches. But the crude and gallows humor also help make it fun (within reason).

8. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

This is the kind of stuff I'd be open to making exceptions for and temporarily give you the ability to delete your posts so you can do a one-time cleanup. I'm not going to let folks do this regularly, but there are certainly times it's warranted.

I'd need more info plus I'd be double-checking it with the moderators as they know user history a lot better than me.

PM me with more details.

9. Hmmm...
    Jeff, I don't think is your first rodeo.

10. Jeff is no stranger to message boards ..

That said ... The ability to edit posts ...
    I may go back two or three pages on a thread to quote something and then want to add a photo or bold it .... I just tried to that with my previous post.
    I don't have that ability with the quite quote function. And the post reply function only allows you to go down through a thread so far ...

Also I think faster than I type and often omit or misspell words, its nice to fix them and not look like a complete moron.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to edit posts in the short term, but if you're just editing for a typo or something, who cares? If you have an issue like DeskMonkey's that's about the only reason I can see for allowing deleting posts, and exceptions should be made. But I've never even considered deleting a post. I guess I'm not that controversial.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Some of us are editors. We care.

Draft saved Draft deleted