1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SJ Owner

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I smell a turd. Did you fart, Jeff?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have some bad news for you. You've been conned.

What looks like a thriving community of dozens of posters is actually two of us with a roleplay fetish acting out all the different alts.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Welcome, new ownership.

Is this now two different owners since Webby? Or three?

Anyway, glad to have you here., Please restore the ability to delete posts, And the ability to change our user names for seasonal and fun purposes.

Thank you.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And have fun watching the behavior of sock puppets. They are both entertaining and maddening.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Not nearly so much as the "You're a SOCK PUPPET!!!!!" message-board crusaders.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I see the long-timers have been hard at work:

We thought Ace could work for the Plain Dealer, dammit, but he chose hospital communications.

It's customary to find out if a job is 15 minutes from Tahoe...

When you see "this won't end well" in a thread, chances are it won't end well...

7. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, neither of those are going to happen.

I'm curious--why do you want to delete posts? Historically, I've rarely had good-intentioned users wanting to delete their posts; more often one user baited another, then tries to delete the baiting post or edit it out. I generally like to give folks a 5 minute courtesy period to fix typos, etc, but after that you'll need to contact a mod if you want something edited or deleted. Edit: Decided to try this at 48 hours rather than 5 minutes. Should cover 99% of issues.

Changing user names on a whim isn't happening either. People get to know one another through their usernames, so letting users randomly change their names reduces the relational trust necessary for this type of community to thrive.

It might be possible to make it so you can have user titles just below your username that you can customize just like you customize your signatures--not sure if it's technically possible or even a good idea, but I'll look into it.

If you were outed and need to a new account to preserve your anonymity, then contact one of the staff members and we can help. Or if you accidentally made a typo when you signed up. But otherwise usernames aren't changing.

In general, I won't be making many policy changes around here--this site runs pretty smoothly, the mods know what they're doing, and my job is to support and enable them. And thank them for volunteering their time to help make this a great community.

Also--if you ever have a problem with a particular mod or something they did, please PM me. Publicly ripping the mods is a no-no, but I'm happy to discuss it privately, as long as you keep the tone civil and the context private. Again, no surprises here--based on what I read in the moderation log, Lucas ran this ship the same way.

Now, back to asking me to fetch your preferred beverage...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jeff, welcome and thanks for stepping up to keep this place running.

I am curious about one thing in your post above. You mentioned not allowing posts to be deleted or edited after a set amount of time. It would be a change for us to be unable to edit a post after five minutes. Sometimes, we don't see something that needs to be changed for a while, perhaps even after somebody else points it out.

Either way is fine. I just wanted to clarify how things will work.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We have a history of stalking here.
    Ask the mods about how losers have gone after people's jobs.
    Anything to minimize or obscure our footprint here would be useful.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Stalking? Going after people's jobs on a message board (to get them fired?)? Seriously? I'd like to hear about these issues. First I've heard of them but I'm not a regular on here. Wow.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes. Check the threads from autumn 2009.
    Such a chikenshit move it defies description.
    I think it's a joke that newspeople are forbidden to discuss politics on an industry site, but I will do my very best to understand and honor the decision.
    I've got other onions to peel.

Draft saved Draft deleted