1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SI - Santana

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guy_Incognito, Feb 20, 2008.

1. I liked the Ballard piece very much.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just read the Majerus piece. Wow. Not sure the "excuse me while I whip this out" stuff should be played off as no big deal.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah it's Kidd's son.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Read the dunk piece - very, very good. I missed the football season, but it's encouraging for the future that Siver is gone. We'll see.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"That's Tito, Jesse."

"Like I said: Chico."

Saw the Bod rassle Santana at Maple Leaf Gardens. Guy I was with brought a sign that said "Chico sucks taco scum!" Good times!

Anyway, the new SI had arrived while I was on the road so I haven't read any of it yet but I love those cover shots from spring training. Baseball - and better weather - are coming!

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

My wife is a librarian, and believe it or not, the magazine does not circulate at all. By her library's rules, she would be justified in canceling the subscription.

But now, she's charging the new issue out to be the day it comes in, so I get it for free, and it circulates. ;)

I am one of those children of the 70s who cut his teeth on SI. I remember reading it cover-to-cover, then taping pictures on the wall. I know times have changed, and it has changed, but I do love the times they nail it.

I taught for a long time -- including journalism and psychology -- and as I am cleaning up boxes of old stuff, I keep finding things like the original Allen Iverson story (when we was arrested in high school), the "Lonely End," story and Leigh Montville's piece on the soccer team from Africa that was wiped out in a plane crash.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

not where you live!!! :D

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True, but we've got Honeymoon Suite gigging at local dumps and you don't!

9. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Not that anybody should care, but...

I absolutely LOVED the Dribble Drive Motion offense story by Grant Whal. It broke down the intricacies and x's and o's stuff, but managed not to be boring, while weaving a nice profile of the offense's originator in with it. What absolutely blew me away was the graphic that accompanied the story, pinpointing the 300-some colleges, junior colleges and high schools that run the DDM or some variation. Somebody earned their researcher's salary there.

Ballard's dunk story was fantastic. The pros of that piece have been well documented, so I don't have much to add.

Admittedly, baseball isn't my thing. I skipped the Clemens nonsense as I've reached my saturation point, but I read the Santana piece and thought it was way overdone. Way too much hyperbole from the players, the writer, the front office people. He's like a drink of water? He's their savior?

Ack.

Draft saved Draft deleted