1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SI: Charles Pierce on Wes Welker

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by DietCoke, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For the purposes of the writer's workshop, yes. This belongs on the main board.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought the story was fairly creative in what appears a story where he got limited access to the Patriots and Welker doesn't appear to be much a quote machine.

It would have been more interesting, maybe, to flesh out some aspects of Welker's career in Boston. And, maybe, what other teams do to prepare for Welker.

The unanswered question is Welker's success a product of his drive or are his numbers artificial because of the systems he has played in.

It also begs the question, do the Patriots favor white players because it sure seems like they do. That wasn't explored either.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The cynic thinks that other than the awful lede, it seemed like a regular player feature that SI has twice a week.

The cynic thinks that Pierce is nothing special.

Convince me. Convince me. Convince me.

4. Deion Branch is white? Who knew?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think there's a writer on this earth who's above critique and review.

Truth is I love Pierce's writing. But like way too many guys who know a lot of people think they're great, he sometimes falls into a common trap: On occasion -- and the lede to this story is one of those occasions -- he is writing for himself rather than writing for the reader. I call it masturbating at the keyboard.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Depends on the reader, I guess.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

All the attention Charles Pierce gets on here sometimes gets to be a bit much for me. Maybe others disagree. I'm not going to critique the Welker piece. I might if I knew for sure that Pierce was going to see it or might have a chance to respond to my stupid critiques. That always seems only fair to me.

My biggest question with the thread, though, is why that particular piece, and not, let's say, the profile of Kevin Love that ran in the same issue?

I mean, other than the bylines.

I don't want to discourage these kinds of threads. I think they are useful, and often bring about great discussions. But Pierce has written some things that really stand out and could merit threads like this; is the Welker story really one of them, as opposed to several other dozen things that have been written for magazines in the last month?

I'd love to see these threads step out and start looking at other writers, too. I am sorry that doesn't add much to this thread, but it's all I can think about.

8. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

Because Pierce had been in the news because of the feud with Simmons.

I did not feel like the original post was fawning. I did not like the lede very much, and tried to be clear but diplomatic about that.

I think it's fair to say that, with Pierce, I often feel that the writing is a lot of sizzle oftentimes and not a lot of steak.

9. One thing I'd like to add - I think a beer with Charlie Pierce would be a lot more fun than a beer with Bill Simmons.

I also think that if criticism was warranted - Charlie Pierce would say "fair enough" while Simmons would get all snitty.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is there a short supply of band width that we need to start rationing threads?

As far as story seems like Pierce missed the boat in not getting some quotes from Leach who obviously played an important roll in Welker's development.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As a civilian on this board I can only say that having a beer with Charlie Pierce is very high on my list of recommended activities.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Totally agree with both points.

Draft saved Draft deleted