1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new security measures by TSA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

UGH...

New security measures in place for any foreign airlines flying to the US. A lot of flights are going to suck.

During flight, the foreign air carrier must ensure that the following procedures are followed:

Passengers must remain in seats beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.

Passenger access to carry-on baggage is prohibited beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.

Disable aircraft-integrated passenger communications systems and services (phone, internet access services, live television programming, global positioning systems) prior to boarding and during all phases of flight.

While over U.S. airspace, flight crew may not make any announcement to passengers concerning flight path or position over cities or landmarks.

Passengers may not have any blankets, pillows, or personal belongings on the lap beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.

All passengers will also have to submit to a patdown and physical search of their carry on baggage.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Wow. Welcome to lockdown nation....

I'm American but live in London. Looks like Mom and Dad are going to be coming to see me this year, rather than vice versa.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Awesome.... I'm currently in Mexico City, flying home in about a week. On Delta, via Detroit, Holy cr*p, is it ever gonna suck.....

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Of course, the thing that REALLY p*sses me off, is that on this trip we had far more carry on luggage than we normally would (as very seasoned travelers), to avoid paying the $25 fee for a second checked bag. First bag was "free." Anyone think the *sshats at NWA/Delta will ease up on the bag fees, for a while?? Guess I'll be borrowing a cheap piece of luggage & biting the bullet on the fee, for the return trip....

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, if idiots like that Nigerian fellow on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit would stop trying to pull bullshit, maybe these restrictions would be loosened. I'm fine with it. The rest of the world can't be trusted because they've proven time and again that they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Cosomo, as a guy getting on an international flight this week, I'm MORE than fine with any and all extra security measures. But then don't charge me extra to check my crap, instead of carrying it on.....

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hey Cosmo, explain how any of these new procedures who have stopped "idiots like the one from Nigeria" (btw, there's only been 1 of these idiots out of millions of passengers in at least 5 years) from doing what he did?

I'm disappointed to see that lock-the-barn-door, knee-jerk reactions are still alive in post-Bush America.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The desire for the illusion of safety is powerful.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner.

What's even more scary for me is that I live in Detroit Metro Airport's flight path. I can step outside at anytime except the middle of the night and see at least two planes in the air. When this plane landed, I was home with my two children, and my grandmother-in-law was home next door. Scary, scary stuff.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My sister, her husband and their four-month-old boy will fly back from France in a few days. Does the kid count as a "personal belonging on the lap"?

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Sounds like quite the list of new rules into play for just this one incident. Makes me wonder if they have intelligence that leads them to believe this may happen again.

Regardless, I'm fine with it all.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Me too. I'll drive across the border and get on a plane from there rather than fly into the U.S. It's far less expensive anyway - less than half the price.

Draft saved Draft deleted