1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Seattle Times Columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I cross-posted. Put this on the jobs board, too.
    From the Moddy pipeline:

I am sorry to inform you that Jerry Brewer is leaving The Courier-Journal to join The Seattle Times as a sports columnist.

Jerry says that he had mixed feelings about leaving his home state, but that the opportunities in one of his favorite cities — a major league city — were too good to turn down.

Jerry’s final column will appear Aug. 2.

2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Jerry - let me the first on here to wish you good luck and say congrats.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

This only took, what, one year?

But is he an f'in stud, Mizzou?

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

One of the good young humble people in the business and a great friend. I'm happy for him.

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

jerry brewer is awesome. a great person, a great writer and a great journalist to work with. this business could use hundreds more like him.

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

That's a great deal for Jerry, but let me be the first to say it: What happens to his gig in Louisville?

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Didn't know Jerry Brewer from a hole in the wall, so I googled him.

HOLEEEE SMOKES. He's a, ahem, a minority.

What will that guy at the Detroit Free Press say about that? Shouldn't a guy with his experience level been a columnist by now?

8. great writer and an even better guy

congrats, brew

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe they'll give it to their Kentucky beat guy ... wait ...

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Haha. You gotta admit he's a damn good writer.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I read a few of his pieces, probably too small a sample to accurately get a picture. Also unfamiliar with the market, and what flies and doesn't fly there and what people cotton to and what captures the pulse of what the readers are into there.

Seems well-written, gramatically correct, and with an intrinsic kindness to it that is refreshing. Not dramatic, or extremely clever, or flashy (not that this is a bad thing), or with anything outstanding from an originality point of view. Solid, I guess, was the overall impression I got. This is not a criticism. There's far too little of that.

Good luck and congratulations to him. Like to hear people say good things about one of our own.

12. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

met jerry brewer during a raptors playoff game years ago. seemed like a good guy. great broadcast voice, too. could be a crossover star.

good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted