1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE in Nashville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In a perfectly ironic world, me.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Be sure to drop by the Tennessee Consulate in my living room if you move out here.

3. Per all of your notes on here:
    * If anyone is interested in more info about The Press-Enterprise, feel free to call me (951 368-9520) or email me (dammenheuser@pe.com). I'll be in Riverside through next week.
    Although the cutbacks have been heavy, it remains a good gig. The sports staff is a hard-working bunch. They are truly wonderful people.
    * Nels Jensen is the current Executive Editor. Back in 2003, he was the sports editor who recruited me to come to Riverside. He moved out of the newsroom for a few years, but returned last year. He was named the Editor in December.
    -- Dave

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Yes, some of us have more than a passing reference to a certain SE. Does having you kid baby-sit his kids count? Plenty of good people on the staff in Riverside, and while it's true that resources and scope have diminished, there are still more than 100K households that get the paper each day and thousands more who look at the website. Nels, the editor, is a straight shooter who does have a heavy sports background.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey IJAG... no worries, I know what you meant.

And I too wonder who takes over Riverside.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

On another thread we discussed the staffing for the Gannett papers in Louisville and Cincinnati. Does anyone know the staffing in Nashville? Just curious.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Dave Ammenheuser does... :)

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head they have a writer for Titans, Preds and Vandy, along with a pro backup. One columnist. Don't think they touch racing now with the new track closed. Vols stories come from Knoxville, Murfreesboro provides MTSU copy. Not sure how many in preps. Not sure if they have someone on Sounds full time, although I would guess so. Travel is limited - they famously missed the SEC Tournament in Tampa and skip some West Coast Preds trips.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Tennessean's farming out the Volunteer coverage to the K-S is like Burger King farming out French Fries to McDonald's.

10. rde

rde New Member

Not the case when Chris Low was at the Tennessean, which lost all cred with me when it bailed on the UT beat. Fine, they cover the hell out of the Titans and have a stud as the lead reporter. But not covering UT has the section in the gray area between a very good section and a suburban weekly.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Actually, that would be a significant improvement for Burger King.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to figure out what this means exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted