1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules by U of Wisconsin SID

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CRM, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

For the purposes of this post, let us assume the Wisconsin SID is a decent person and has good intentions.

This is a bad rule. Here is what I would tell the Wisconsin SID, and if anybody thinks it is worthy and wants to present this, be my guest and I'd be honored.

To limit something reporting on the web creates an unfair situation. If practice starts at 3 and goes to 5:40 pm, television reporters would have coaches and players on the evening sportscasts but reporters couldn't put something on the web? Mr. SID, this will create problems with the beat reporters. If the people from newspapers are respected, they need to be treated with respect even if their audience isn't as big as the TV people - where do you think the TV people get their information from?

The claim about injuries and notifying parents isn't legitimate. On game days, hundreds of thousands of people see someone who is injured. The credentialed media needs to speak with some coach or official to get a story, and anyone doing a story needs to talk to somebody to get the story. It is possible for a reporter to call a player on a cellphone and get any information they want 30 minutes after practice.

I can understand no live blogging from practice, and any reporter who did that would risk getting things wrong. The four-hour rule gives TV people a ridiculous advantage.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

On game day, mom and dad are at the stadium or watching on TV and know about the injury immediately. In a practice situation, it's understandable that it might take 1-2 hours to contact the family about a significant injury.

That being said, I'm in no way supporting the four-hour embargo.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As much as we hate to admit it, we are at the mercy of schools. They don't have to let us into practice.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's a horseshit rule as is any that tries to strong arm a media outlet into when it can publish/air news. It's that simple.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Only in Wisconsin ...

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, save for those schools that don't have an open camp.

7. I cover a school that closes practice during the season. I'm really glad for that now.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

You're glad you have no access to practice during the season? Why? Sorry, but I'll never pass up a chance to watch practices, workouts, etc., if they let us in. Never.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

On the one hand, it sure would be nice to get to see what the coaches see. It helps to understand the decisions the coaches make, for sure.

On the other, if you're the only guy on the beat, it can be a fucking grind to have to go to every practice. And if they're open, you can't miss one. Not one.

So closing practice sort of takes that onus out of your hands. Let's just say I didn't shed many tears the day the school I cover decided to close them all for good.

I think the optimal thing would be to have one or two open a week, personally.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

nothing better than closed practices. then i don't have to go

11. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Is this just for football? Or are Bo and Eaves following suit?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Outstanding point...

Draft saved Draft deleted