1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules by U of Wisconsin SID

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CRM, Aug 10, 2007.

1. CRM

CRM Member

I don't know all the details, but I figure this will make an interesting discussion. Wisconsin has instituted a rule where nothing from their practices can go to the Web until four hours after the practice ends.

No stories, photos, video or audio, for newspapers or Scout/Rivals. I hope this does not become a trend.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If they open practices, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as that's established beforehand.
    Would you prefer closed practices and no access at all as an alternative?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will be in effect for their night practices (as far as stories; I don't think anyone would allow video of practices to be filmed, but I could be wrong).

4. What's bad is if real news breaks there.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

That's ridiculous. As Waylon noted, what if the starting QB tears up his knee? We shouldn't report that? I'd almost prefer closed practices to that kind of crapola. I just don't understand what would prompt the school to make such a rule. Why an embargo on practice information? Are they planning to sell the rights to televise practices?

It's bullshit, is what it is.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If real news breaks, you ignore the rule.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Absolutely. And when UW starts bitching, remind them that some things are more important.
    A player breaking a finger is one thing; a player dying is another.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

WTF? Welcome to the briefs section ...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beats the hell out of practices being closed.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What are open practices? I've never heard of those.
    Is Bigfoot there?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No, you just can't blog it until the school has had a chance to inform the kid's family that the player is hurt/sick/dead. It can still get in the paper then next day. You can still post on on the web later that night. From a school's perspective, it sounds fair.

Of course, we hate it.

12. JLawson

JLawson Member

What the hell is the point of the four hours? Did they just pull this number out of a hat?

Draft saved Draft deleted