1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Planet of the Apes" movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

"I say, what's that coming out of her nose?"
    "Spaceballs?!?"
    "Oh shit, there goes the planet."

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was a BIG fan of the original movies & short-lived TV series when I was a kid. Just saw this tonight and enjoyed it. Liked the way the explained how the apes were able to go on to rule the world but was disappointed they did tie the space mission in at the end.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was singing this for like an hour after the movie.

Battle scene was wildly underwhelming. Rest of the movie was perfectly fine for what it was, but the if the battle scene was advertized as heavily as it was, it needed to be more than a glorified police chase.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Agreed.

For me, the movie was a lot sadder than I thought it would be. Whodathunk a CGI-based ape could outact James Franco (Lithgow was awesome, though).

I liked the twist on the story. It was underserved by the script and Franco's acting, but if you want some brainless fun, hit it.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

EPIC fail ... He couldn't be more wrong on every point he makes. But he'd have to, you know, see the movie to make an informed opinion.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have no interest in 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes,' but why would any entertainment require turning off one's brain?
    Why can't a movie be entertaining without being dumb?

And that's not to say 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' is dumb. I haven't seen it. I like the original.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I just mean don't overthink what's going on on the screen...it's an unrealistic movie that people are trying to put into realistic situations. It can't be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted