1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Pearl Jam album out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Sep 20, 2009.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I just downloaded Backspacer from iTunes. So far so good.

I really like Got Some, The Fixer and Supersonic.

I buy Pearl Jam studio albums more to support the band than for my listening pleasure since about 1,000 of the 3,000 songs in my iPod/iPhone are live PJ songs.

On the four-hour drive home from the game I covered today, I listened to the San Francisco bootleg from this summer's tour. Very good stuff. A few bootlegs were released last night on pearljam.com.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

"Got Some" is hands down my fave song off the album. One of the best hooks they've had in some time. I'm in the same boat as you. I buy their albums mostly to support the band as I find that I like three or four of every ten songs they record. They are still a must-see live. I hope they'll be doing more North American shows next year.

The album is streaming on their Myspace page.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I've listened to it twice through and am kinda disappointed.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Getting good reviews, something like 85 on Metacritic for what that's worth. Saw them live twice a couple weeks ago and they played Got Some, Fixer and Supersonic - fit right into the set list.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I've downloaded the Chicago and San Francisco bootlegs and listened to the San Fran one last night. It was very, very good.

I was hoping to see them this summer but preseason practice got in the way. I did see Eddie in Nashville and Atlanta.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

My favorite non-musical moment at the United Center came the second night when Eddie noticed a guy wearing a "No Even Flow" shirt in the front. Eddie said, "You should know by now, we take requests, but not orders," and then they launched into the song.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, I had heard Pearl Jam would be available at Target, so I went there today to buy it. No Pearl Jam anywhere to be found. Astounded the kids I asked about it, too. Guess I'll head back tomorrow and try again.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I actually heard that moment when I was listening to the bootleg last night. I wasn't sure what was happening.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Just Breathe-Amongst the Waves-Unthought Known trifecta is sublime.

Ed is the one who holds this thing together. His lyrics, phrasing, vocal choices ... simply stunning.

10. As much as I want to say "yeah, no shit. Ed is a once in a lifetime rock star," this is another balanced PJ album songwriting-wise. They all have an equal hand in writing the songs. Listened a few times already (while pretty hammered), gonna have a definitive take soon.

Going to see them on 10/31 in Philly. Looking forward to seeing Brother live.

11. Forgot to say: RACK the Tom Tomorrow artwork.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i loved "ten" (as good as any album of the last 25 years), and also dug some songs from their next few albums. but i fell out of touch with the band in 97 or 98.

i can't believe pearl jam is still around.

it's coming up on 20 years, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted