1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New parenting study that we can all get behind

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 25, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A recent study has shown that if American parents read one more long-form think piece about parenting they will go fucking ape shit.

... Waterson interviewed a hundred and twenty-seven families about their reaction to articles that begin with a wryly affectionate parenting anecdote, segue into a dry cataloguing of sociological research enlivened with alternately sarcastic and tender asides, and end with another wryly affectionate anecdote that aims to add a touch of irony or, failing at that, sentimentality. “I wasn’t looking to prove there was too much of this content,” Waterson said. “I’m a behaviorist, not a sociologist. Only one part of this equation interested me—the fucking-ape-shit part.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/shouts/2014/03/new-parenting-study-released.html?mbid=social_retweet

Slate may disagree, however.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, I agree...

I love parenting anecdotes or "This worked for me" type short stories, but these, "A thousand children were studied over a 10-year period and we've determined that..." stories are too much.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

These stories are profitable, and quickly consumed.
    If they got Dick they got the proletariat.
    Look at the current climate.
    More stir over a former playboy model dunce vaccine denier than Fed policy.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's fake. It's like an Onion story.

5. Dick Whitman

I am the proletariat.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

You belong to the city, Dick.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No, he belongs to the night.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, he belongs to the thunder.

9. Dick Whitman

I'm not a foodie at all, so I don't.

To belong to the city in 2014, you have to be a card-carrying foodie.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

The key is to run with a crowd where there is at least one foodie.
    That will get you to the most exquisite restaurants once in a while.
    Sometimes Fart's connections carry me well beyond my depth.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is very true. When I was still in the business, I had a friend who I traveled with frequently who knew the best restaurant in every city. Even when he wasn't traveling, we'd call him up and say, "Going to Baton Rouge, need recommendations..."

They were almost never obvious choices either. More than once we'd go to a place, it would be amazing and then we'd ask the local guy about it and he wouldn't have heard of the place and then we'd take him there on the next trip.

I can think of only one instance where we didn't like his recommendation and that was a BBQ place in Memphis. I don't remember the names of the places, but we went to his recommendation one night and it was OK, and went to another place the following night and it was much, much better...

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I weep for civilization.

Draft saved Draft deleted