1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New OT law and the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is @Fredrick one?

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone on this board outside of this board.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I know dozens of individuals who work 60-70 and get paid for 40. It's the way it has to be in "journalism." When the news never stops and the dead print product is still coming out 7 days a week, the math doesn't work for 40 hours. So it's always been take it for the team. If you were to put overtime, your life is hell. Your every move is monitored and you are accused of wasting time if you google something, so you work 70 and get paid for 40. It's not complicated if you want your kids to have clothes and food.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Except "the way it has to be" is against the freaking law. Both the old law and the new one and the one that'll be reverted if this holds.

If another industry was treating its employees like this they'd do a video expose and lead the i-team package with it. what you're preaching is enabling and it's assanine.

5. Doc Holliday

I work 40. Anything more I get compensated for as overtime. Only a moron would sidestep the law when the law is on your side.

You're a fool.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dude, if that's the case either:
    1) Spend the next two months documenting everything, file a labor complaint, and sue the shit out of them
    2) Quit. Find something else. Find another paper. Go work at Home Depot. Flip burgers. Dig ditches (the world needs them, too). For your own sanity, please. The money you're making can't be that good that willing to put up with this and willing to destroy yourself mentally for going on two or three years now.
    Adam Carolla had a great philosophy when it comes to work -- ask yourself, "Does it make me money?" and "Does it make me happy?"
    You can sacrifice a bit of one for the other. If the answer to both is "no," then you really need to evaluate what you're doing and make some changes.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No to both. And some personal situations in my life have made it even more important for me to get out fast. Basically, if I don't make some changes soon (within the next 3-4 months), I stand a good chance of losing my house. And if I lose only my house, that's the best-case scenario.

8. apeman33

Just got told: Punch the clock the rest of this week to close out the pay period. Then back to the way it used to be next week.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sounds like that's the better of the 2 options, though?

10. Doc Holliday

I'm confused. So, are you saying you're company is going to abide by the law for three days, then ignore it starting Monday?

11. apeman33

Burns: Yes, better only in that they don't get to cheat us with their "wonky math" I've referred to earlier. And having figured out some things that help me be more efficient, I may not always get done in 40 hours, but they won't be getting 45-50 out of me any more. This week, they'll get exactly 40. Then I have a wrestling tournament that will last most of the day Saturday, so there isn't any reason to come into the office on Wednesday when there's nothing scheduled for me to cover.

Doc: Kansas was one of the states that sued to stop the law from taking effect, so there's nothing to ignore right now (at least in this state). Also, I think the only reason we have to punch the clock the rest of the week is to close out the pay period. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a time sheet to process on Monday.

12. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Today, the 6th, the boss called me and told me my raise was not put in place and will not be until required by law. Status quo in terms of pay received and workload. Forty years in this business, and it's finally the last straw.

Draft saved Draft deleted