1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New OT law and the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is true, although there are certain rules that apply if the workers are working for more than one paper. Like, if a weekly newspaper reporter works for a paper with 3,500 circulation, he's not eligible for OT. But, if the reporter is working for two weekly papers that combine for 4,000 or more, then they are.

From what labor laws are newspapers exempt?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Welp, got the time card talk today from the boss. Everyone at the paper is now hourly and eligible for overtime as of Dec. 1.

Frankly I'm surprised the company didn't try to weasel out by reclassifying all the salaried workers.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Your knowledge, skill and command of mathematics is very sexy.

4. Baron Scicluna

So are sewers when shit is about to flow into your front yard (Hi Ace!)

Ace likes this.
  5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I just got the opposite talk, that all OT must be approved by the executive editor (whose previous attitude was "put the hours you work on your timecard" which got me OT nearly every pay period.) I forwarded the daily departmental checklist to him, and am still waiting to hear what can be done by someone else somewhere else.

Our off-site desk was offered OT to cover for the people who were laid off last week, but nobody was willing to take it.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

what happened.

7. Baron Scicluna

See Ace's quotes. It has to do with "sexy."

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Real-world math: Some things that took 15 people 600 hours to do aren't worth it.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Ours did that and also came up with wonky math to make 5 hours of overtime more palatable, which involves screwing us over hard if we make the mistake of "Oh, yeah, they're going to know how much work I put in!". Screw them. I'm never working one minute over 40 ever again.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear more about this. If federal labor laws were actually enforced, this sounds like something that might run afoul of them.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Me too. The wonky math, what is it, who came up with it and who does it favor? Making 5 hours of overtime more palatable - is that more palatable to the employer or to the employee?

What does "screwing us over hard" mean?

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, to quote myself from elsewhere here:

And I know of at least two stupid bastards who are determined to let this company know how many hours they really work, goddamit, who are going to be stunned that they're suddenly making minimum wage and told that they can't work more than 45 hours. And, oh, since your new wage was based on 10 hours of overtime, well, you just took a huge pay cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted