1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mississippi Law could make it the first abortion-free state

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good. Not surprised, but glad to hear it.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You would think though that abortion-rights groups would figure this is important enough to find an OB/GYN who could get privileges at a local hospital.
    Sure the law is BS, but you might as well make it clear that you are willing to jump through hoops and make them go back to the drawing board for an even more bogus attempt to shut it down.
    Probably a better use of cash than funding campaigns at this point.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You think any of the hospitals in Mississippi are going to make it easy, or even possible? It's not a matter of jumping through hoops. It's a matter of every time they jump through the last hoop, someone puts up another one. And sets it on fire. And puts a tiger on the other side.

So yeah. No local doctors will provide abortions, because they'd be drummed out of business by the screaming monkey brigade. And the hospitals are making it impossible for out-of-state doctors to register. So no doctors can meet the requirements of the law. How bout that!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and the state's laundry/dry--cleaners will wonder where all the wire hangars went.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that about the local hospitals. I guess though if I was a local hospital, I would not want the legislature to put the thing in my lap. Figure it opens them up to lawsuits etc. Let alone possibly getting the Feds snooping around their Medicare billings.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As someone who waited two and a half years to adopt kid #1, and the meter is ticking past three years for kid #2 with at least a year to go, I can vouch for the fact that there are thousands of people who would love to parent those "unwanted children," both here and overseas.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I'm guessing Mississippi is still near the bottom in terms of quality of education and economic opportunity. If so, I wonder if the governor and the state legislature would consider they need to stop wasting their time running back door plays to stop abortions and work on some real issues. This is Mr. Naive, signing off.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shhh, careful. DQ will translate that as a stupid and futile post.

9. Baron Scicluna

Number of children who are victims of abuse and neglect in Mississippi: 7,883
    Number of children in foster care in Mississippi: 3,320
    Number of children adopted from foster care in Mississippi: 306

http://www.childrensdefense.org/child-research-data-publications/data/state-data-repository/cits/2011/children-in-the-states-2011-mississippi.pdf

Now yeah, the goal of kids in foster care is to get them back with the parents. But for the thousands of families out there who want to adopt, I would think there's multiples of that of kids who are sitting in foster care with little hope of adoption. And whenever you see adoption ads, most of them are asking for newborn babies. Not the 12-year-old.

And now, there will be even more born who are unwanted. Mississippi is going to have to find a way to take care of those kids. Or, knowing how they don't want to raise taxes by one penny, not. You know, survival of the fittest.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That attests to a broken system -- especially the foster-care system, which as you mentioned has a goal of reuniting children with families until it is hopeless, which often means children jump back and forth between foster homes because the state doesn't make it available. The state also makes it very difficult to adopt, by adding several Byzantine layers of regulations and costs that's basically intended to answer 3 questions: are you healthy, do you have a stable marriage and are you not a pedophile?

The state makes adoption difficult. But adoption is a much better option for "unwanted children" than abortion. I'm glad my son's birthmother went through with the pregnancy.

11. Baron Scicluna

And I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

And I'm sure the state has those regulations because they want to make absolutely sure they have enough reason to permanently splitting up a family.

But if you think every kid born who was going to be aborted is going to get adopted or end up in a loving home, then you're not being very realistic.

And I highly doubt Mississippi has planned for anything beyond the abortion ban. Cross-threading with health care, I highly doubt they've planned for when women are going to be hurt and killed by back-alley abortions. And I highly doubt they've planned for the increased work their foster care system is going to have to handle, not to mention, made plans for increased amounts of kids in their schools.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This was from yesterday, and I'm not dragging this up for the politics (perhaps the legal perspective), but just for the news that the judge extended his TRO until further review:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/11/us/mississippi-abortion-clinic-hearing/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted