1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new low or now the norm?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, Sep 30, 2011.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

In the past year or so my shop has pretty much replaced almost every newsroom FTE that leaves with full-time part-time employees who work 37.5 hours per week but get no benefits.
    Obviously it's a lot cheaper. I'm wondering if any other shops are doing this?

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Can it be both?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Contract employees are a new rage now, too.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Isn't 37.5 hours over the average that makes you be full-time?

Each state can be different but I believe all but a few consider 35 the cut-off.

5. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

Yeah ... isn't this exactly why Walmart got in trouble a few years back?

Also, to answer the original question on the thread title: Yes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ideally, I'd love for people not to leave or be ushered out.

But I'd love for the opportunity to replace folks with even part-timers.

And giving no benefits for 37.5 hours a week sounds illegal unless you work in China.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I thought the cutoff used to be 29 hours averaged over the course of a year. In the past year, though, we have had a couple of newsroom people leave who left and were replaced with this new designation.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they get rid of them before they can average 29 hours over the course of a year, it'll probably be legal.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There isn't a federal law regarding whether employers have to provide benefits, vacation or sick days. Massachusetts and Hawaii have laws requiring certain companies to provider health insurance, but most employees are at the mercy of the corporate overlords.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a law that determines whether someone is full-time, part-time a contractor or employee. The suits certainly get edgy about making sure those lines are not crossed. Must be some reason.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Companies don't have to pay FICA or Medicare payroll taxes, nor unemployment insurance, for contractors.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude is a full-time contract worker. She used to be on site but now is at the dining room table. She is paid the same, with no benefits. Here, an average of 30 hours for more than a short term sets off full-time alarms in HR.

Draft saved Draft deleted