1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new Leonard-Hagler book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by henryhenry, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He'd start bleeding sometime during the introductions. Tough, tough guy and a damn good fighter.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, but you should. ;) :-*

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

this book has a section on Hagler-Hearns. I almost forgot that in the third round the referee stopped action to examine a bleeding cut on Hagler's forehead. He asked Hagler if he could see, and Hagler snarled, "I ain't missin' him, am I?" The ref waved him back in and Hagler hurried up and finished Hearns.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

fyi: according to this book, more punches were thrown in Round 9 of Leonard-Hagler than in the first round of Hagler-Hearns.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hagler-Hearns had more quality punches (and a fair amount of quantity).

There wasn't one punch in the Leonard fight as good as the right-hand bomb Hearns landed in the first that cut Hagler or the big right that sent Hearns reeling in the third.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Was it Pizza Hut or some other outfit? After the Hearns fight, Hagler did a commercial and ad libbed: "The other guys probably having soup."

YD&OHS, etc

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember the ad but don't remember the company. Pizza does ring a bell.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was on April 15 and they did a great PSA reminding people to file their taxes early so they could watch the fight.

8. Jesus, I was a huge fan of Hagler, but he blew the Leonard fight. He didn't do shit during the opening four rounds and then it was too late to dig out of the hole. Leonard was brilliant, frustrating Marvelous throughout and landing several shots late in the later rounds. I can't defend Hagler in that one. He wasn't robbed, he lost.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I've been saying for the last 21 years.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Looking at some of his fights, Hagler could take a shot. The Hagler-Hearns fights are some of the best out there.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

George Kimball is coming out with a book about Leonard, Duran, Hagler and Hearns called The Four Kings.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hopefully it's just about the middleweight division. I could think of four other boxers who deserve the "King" moniker. Ali tops the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted