1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new Leonard-Hagler book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by henryhenry, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Huggy: In my humble opinion, you nailed it. Would love to have seen Hagler corner Leonard and see what would have happened. I believe that's the fight we were all waiting for.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

friend,

I look at myself in the mirror all the time.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr F,

Not what Socrates had mind when he talked about an unexamined life.

YD&OHS, etc

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Hagler had nobody to blame but himself. He gave away the first four rounds and maybe won five of the last eight at most.
    I have yet to hear anybody who says Hagler won that fight break it down round by round and tell me which rounds he won.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

that would be round 9. leonard was cornered and fought his way out. then they went toe-to-toe at center ring. great round - hagler won it on two cards. if this had been round one the fight would have gone like hagler-hearns.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm buying it for my library.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Leonard-Hagler brings to mind one of the most amusing TV memories of my childhood. Bill Patrick from the CBS affiliate in Hartford said he was so sure Hagler would win, he'd bet his house on it.

A couple nights later, he opened the sportscast with something like "Glad no one took me up on my bet."

I'll read this for sure. I'd read, even quicker, a book on the best fight I've ever seen...Hagler-Hearns. Eight minutes of unmatched brutality.

8. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Exactly.

And everyone seems to forget it was Leonard's second fight in five years. Had he not had the detached retina, I would have loved to see the fight in 82 instead of 87.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Hagler fought Leonard in 1982 he would have destroyed him. Leonard was more of a welterweight than a middleweight then and Hagler was wrecking whatever guys were put in front of him.

If Hagler had come out against Leonard like he did against Hearns that fight's over pretty quickly. No way Leonard stands up to that.

One thng I never figured out about Hagler's game plan that night: he was one of the best southpaw fighters ever but he spent the first four rounds as a righty. That would have surprised Leonard who would have been far more comfortable facing Hagler as a righty.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Bigtime fighter he had been in against weren't much on foot speed and movement (Hamsho, Hearns, Roldan, Antuofermo, Minter). The guy who gave Hagler his most decisive loss, Willie the Worm Monroe, was more of a mover and smarter defensive fighter than those other guys. Styles make fights. I guarantee Leonard went to school on Monroe vs Hagler.

YD&OHS, etc

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Don't forget, Leonard gave Hagler an extra $1 million in exchange for shortening the fight from 15 rounds to 12. But I'm not sure Hagler would have won if they went 100 rounds.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Has Vito Antuofermo stopped bleeding yet? That guy was one big open wound.

Draft saved Draft deleted