1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Leader of AP Sports Editors Seeks Candidates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Good points, Mark.

We will have made real progress when minority candidates are hired and there is not an immediate chorus of "they had to hire a minority."

Sadly, that still happens unless you hire Michael Wilbon.

The larger issue is that some sports departments will go opening after opening -- even years -- without hiring a minority. Then management says on the next opening, "this time you are hiring a minority."

So which is worse, never voluntarily hiring a minority, or having the issue forced by management?

Being forced is never cool, but what if the sports department "never gets around to it" until being nudged?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm always amused when white guys -- I'm assuming this APSE guy is white -- speak of the atrocious state of affairs in diversity. If he is right, then he is part of the problem. Shouldn't he quit in the name of giving a woman or minority a chance? Seems like a lawyer who complains that the country has too many lawyers.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So your solution is for every white journalist to quit?

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

But who would type the swim agate?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think you missed my point, which was that it is disingenuous for white males to lament their representation in the populace.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

As soon as that's said, you can take them to court. How you win, I don't know, but that breaks federal labor laws re: discrimination.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why are you dissing the Tea Party?

8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I say let them eat cake

Draft saved Draft deleted