1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Ken Burns documentary on Country Music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Jun 14, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard it was when he was working construction waiting for his music career to take off, waiting for a deal to be finalized - he told a friend "this killing time is killing me" boom.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But he sings, "drinking myself blind ..."

The chorus:

This killin' time is killin' me
    Drinking myself blind thinkin' I won't see
    Not if I cross that line and they bury me
    Well I just might find I'll be killin' time for eternity

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No love for alt-country or Americana from the '90s or people like Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell? To me those acts are what posters are looking for in country music compared to what is today's top country acts. And those are all people who grew up with classic rock, including that shitty Southern rock, and '80s pop music but created

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Don't leave me hanging. "Created" ... what?

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Sorry. Created country that was more traditional musically and lyrically. They just didn't continue down the Southern rock path or put a pop sound on it. I guess it was more a Gram Parsons path.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I love Americana. When I was little my mother fed me a diet of records based in folk and American music, from Civil War songs (both sides) to "John Henry", cowboy songs and the like. I was listening to Americana long before there was a term for it, from Gram Parsons/Burritos to The Dead's "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" to The Band. In a general sense there is a thread of genuine country music running through it, whether Nashville thinks so or not.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"GP" is almost all "traditional" country. "Grievous Angel" is country, but more 1973 country pop, and a much better album. The GP tracks on Sweetheart are more "countryfied" (for the lack of a better term) than the Roger McGuinn ones that made the studio-released album. Lot's of good stuff on the "Sleepless Nights" compilation album, and on a Burrito's CD called "The Collection," which is almost all covers of country from the 1950s and 1960s.

Yes, I am a big GP fan.

misterbc likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Satan makes you listen to Florida Georgia Line.

maumann and Vombatus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted