1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Kanye West, 50 Cent CDs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

I doubt I'll buy either CDs, but I dowloaded stronger and I Get Money and enjoy them both.

2. I'm suprised people are disappointed in Graduation. There are only two tracks on there I don't really care for (Barry Bonds and Drunk and Hot Girls). I think it's better than Late Registration and not quite on the level of College Dropout.

The Glory, Champion, Big Brother, The Good Life and the two singles (Stronger and Can't Tell Me Nothing) are absolutely terrific in my opinion.

I think College Dropout's best songs are better than Graduation's, but top to bottom I think they're comparable. Just my opinion.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The album is still very good, just lacking a few great tracks to put it over the edge. If it had three more good-to-great songs on it, I'd say it's on Late Registation's level. There seems to be some filler on Graduation (Good Morning, Barry Bonds, Drunk and Hot Girls) and it's lacking the humor element that helped his first two releases, especially College Dropout which had a handful of hilarious tracks that helped bring the fun back to a stale hip-hop scene at the time. It also came across as kind of short on first listen, not sure of its length compared to his first two.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

5. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

I am not a fan of either artist but if buying Kanye's album...means 50 cent will shut the F$%^ up...that's $12.99 well spent.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

For me, Kanye beats 50 Cent by a landslide.

7. The disappointing part about the "filler" you mentioned (which I absolutely agree with you on) is that the potential was there for all of those songs to be great. You can argue that those three songs had the three best guests (Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Mos Def) and all fell short of what could have been great tracks. Why would you have Jay even come on for the little time he does just on the opening track? That makes no sense to me. And Lil Wayne, who has improved greatly over the years, seems like he wasn't even trying on Barry Bonds.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still haven't bought Fitty's yet. Anyone heard it?

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Pretty much like any of his other album. It's the same style of songs over a different beat with different lyrics. "Man Down" sounds a lot like "Many Men". "Fire" sounds a lot like "In Da Club". Etc, etc.

10. It's better than "The Massacre" but it would almost have to be. Nowhere near as good as Get Rich was. I think it's official that Fifty was a one album wonder.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Holy crap, that Kanye album is great.

I bought it yesterday - on sale at Best Buy - and listened to it while I was cleaning out the closet. Good beats, some great sampling ("Good Life" with T-Pain samples Michael Jackson's "PYT") ... but I put it on in the car on the way to work and in about a 20-minute commute I was just blown away by the lyrics ...

A shout out to Lauryn Hill ...

"Lauryn Hill say her heart was in Zion
    I wish her heart still was in rhymin' "

Pop culture references ...

"She said 'I never seen snakes on a plane' "

"I ain't one of the Cosbys, I ain't go to Hillman"

... and a song written about Jay-Z.

Best song on the album - "Champion"

12. Glad someone agrees with me on it. Champion is one of my top two. I can't decide if I like that or "The Glory" better.

I love the line in The Glory about his tuxedo bein a little Guido.

Draft saved Draft deleted